General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for Vice President of Corporate Communications. Responsible for the development of Sage’s communication strategy encompassing all external communications and public affairs including public relations (news and editorial coverage [white papers, press releases and articles]); media relations (traditional, digital and social; financial communications, in tandem with Investor Relations; strategic executive communications; crisis and change management communications; website and electronic communications; and brand and reputation management. Develop a world class global communications plan for Sage, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and project the organizations vision, brand and reputation to employees and external stakeholders. Must be an exceptional communicator (written and oral) with strong business acumen, ability to influence, leadership capabilities and executive presence.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Understand the Company’s strategy and objectives to develop and drive execution of a corporate communication strategy, develop annual corporate communications plan; and evaluate success against goals.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as communications counselor to senior leadership team on strategic external communications activities.
- Oversee development of all strategic external communications plans and deliverables for Sage and serve as a corporate spokesperson.
- Comfortably serve in a matrix function as a strategical partner with senior leadership and functional heads, such as the Leadership Team, HR, Clinical and Medical Affairs, R & D, Commercial, General Counsel, Investor Relations, and others to assist with their external communications needs. Manage internal Corporate Communications Committee and cross-functional integration of external communications and activities.
- Directs operation of all key Corporate Communications functions, including concept development, writing/editing, production and distribution; and manages external agencies.
- Serve as the company’s media spokesperson.
- Help to build a longer-term corporate affairs function including government relations and corporate brand strategy.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Strong educational background in communications, business management and marketing.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry, preferably in-house as well as global experience.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier influencers, and successfully positioning subject matter to achieve high-impact placements that enhance corporate brand and reputations.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications programs to advance the organizations vision, mission, values, and strategic objectives.
- Working knowledge of FDA and EMA regulations; familiarity with drug industry reimbursement; and a good understanding of public policy challenges currently affecting the healthcare industry.
- Experience supporting a multi-product pipeline including orphan and large market indications; product communications expertise (ranging from disease awareness, through Phase 3 data announcements, FDA advisory meetings and FDA market clearance).
- An action-oriented thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into reputation enhancing communication initiatives.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution-oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually and proactively, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage