General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative senior commercial leader for an important role that is responsible for driving the development and implementation of the Sales and Account Management strategy for the launch of SAGE-547 and future product portfolio in the US Marketplace. This critical leadership role will be responsible for the functional build, staffing, and deployment of first in class sales and account management organizations who will be accountable for the launch of SAGE-547 for SRSE and PPD indications following regulatory approval. This is a multi-disciplinary commercial leadership role with accountability for multiple sales and account management organizations with different functional responsibilities that span across Hospital and Health System, Home Infusion Provider, and outpatient office and clinic customer settings. The VP of Sales and Account Management will have full accountability for the field sales and account management organizations in the US. This includes leadership of Zone Directors, Regional Directors, Account Managers, and Sales teams. This is a high-profile leadership role with the opportunity to make a large impact.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Achieving the US sales targets for SAGE-547 and future portfolio
- Completing the functional builds for sales and account management including defining core work, roles and responsibilities (RACI’s), competency sets, policies, processes/procedures, tools and technologies, training, and rewards and incentives
- Building a best in class Sales and Account Management organization capable of launching a new products and treatment paradigms in the hospital and outpatient settings
- Setting the strategic vision, targets, and budget for National sales and account management organization, securing corporate resources and managing to budget to achieve objectives
- Leading the National organization consisting of Zone Directors, Regional Directors, Home Infusion, Hospital, and Office-based Account Managers, and administrative staff
- Building a culture of compliance to ensure that all promotional activities are fully compliant with Company policies and Legal and Regulatory guidelines
- Coaching, training, and mentoring first and second line leaders; sourcing key talent internally and externally to maintain a bench of strong leaders
- Contributing as a critical stakeholder to Marketing, Market Access, and Commercial Operations strategic plans
- Maintaining a high-degree of presence and visibility in the field with sales personnel and key customers
- Identifying and building optimal field facing capabilities, raising awareness to unmet needs and championing new customer-centric solutions internally to drive innovation
- Leading the development of the Quarterly POA plan and process
- Analyzing US performance versus sales goals and preparing briefing presentations for executive leadership
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to set a commercial vision and strategy for products and functional teams at the corporate level and translate and communicate with clarity into actionable plans; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way to executives and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- 15+ years related experience in the biotechnology industry with a proven, consistent history of high performance in a broad range of leadership roles of increasing responsibility
- 8+ years of progressive sales leadership experience with demonstrated results as a Sales VP with National accountability level
- BA/BS degree required. Advanced Degree in Business, Marketing or Life Sciences preferred.
- Significant product launch experience in a sales or account management leadership roles
- Demonstrates exceptional leadership, management and communication skills to inspire sales and account management teams to achieve high levels of performance
- Strong executive presence with the ability to set vision and strategy for sales and account management at the National level and lead the organization through large scale change
- Must have experience building out and leading new teams and functions
- Demonstrated success leading teams of account managers responsible for securing product access and pull through in hospitals / health systems is pivotal to the role
- Recent experience in the commercialization of infused therapies and/or in rare disease markets is highly desired; current leadership of Account Management organizations focusing in Trauma / Critical Care will also be given careful consideration
- Expert level knowledge of pricing and reimbursement and market access strategies across hospital, outpatient clinic, and home infusion sites of care is needed
- Brand marketing and National/Regional Payer account management experience is highly desired
- Strong team player who has a customer service approach and is solution oriented
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually and across a multi-disciplinary leadership team, as well as with multiple external partners and vendors
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage