SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for a highly visible role that is responsible for leading medical affairs brand lifecycle strategies and real-life data generation activities for our neuromuscular program including Super-refractory status epilepticus (SRSE). The position is responsible for development and execution of the strategic lifecycle and tactical brand plans as they pertain to Medical Affairs activities, including provision of strategic guidance and leadership of potential Phase 3b/4 clinical trial programs, and investigator initiated studies. The Director is responsible for cultivating partnerships with cross-functional partners such as clinical development, translational science, discovery, patient safety, regulatory, operations, program management, and marketing to provide medical leadership in support of relevant therapeutic initiatives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Member of MLR and PMRC- working with internal stakeholders at the initiation, creation and review of educational and promotional materials.
- Collaborate with the Preclinical, Clinical Development, and Medical Affairs teams to translate clinical insights and data gaps into medical strategy
- Ensure alignment of the brand Medical Affairs activities with the launch readiness and program management plans and objectives.
- Work closely with the Medical Sciences team to help address clinical trial site identification and enrollment needs and provide input where requested
- Provide medical expertise in review and approval of external resources, communication and publications to ensure medical accuracy, objectivity and fair-balance.
- Coordinate cross-functional team to perform post-hoc data analyses and identify opportunities to address clinical data gaps
- Support short and long-term goals of Medical Affairs with respect to prioritization of research interests and prioritization of desired collaborations with specific investigators and institutions.
- Oversee planning and execution of advisory boards with healthcare providers (physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, etc) to collect needed clinical insights to inform medical strategy.
- Provide medical expertise in support of developing content (slides, websites, standard response letters) for medical communications and education to advance disease state and clinical understanding
- Manage and regularly meet with a thought leader network to support the successful execution of Medical Affairs tactics.
- Represent Sage at various scientific and clinical congress meetings.
- Key responsibilities will require him/her to interact with other departments including commercial, clinical, safety, legal and regulatory.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- This position requires an MD, DO or PhD/PharmD with prior industry experience in Critical Care/Epilepsy/Neurology/CNS/neuromuscular
Minimum of 5 years of combined pharmaceutical industry and/or academic/clinical medicine expertise.
- Prior experience in helping to develop medical strategic and tactical plans in support of drug launch is highly preferred
- Must possess excellent communication skills, relationship building capabilities, and proven ability to influence decision-making without authority.
- Must be willing and able to travel and regularly meet with HCPs/KOLs in the Northeast region initially, then more broadly across US, Canada, and Europe as necessary.
- Is able to perceive non-obvious opportunities by connecting the dots between existing knowledge, new data, and HCP unmet needs in real time
- Must be highly perceptive, socially intelligent and intuitive
- Leadership skills, including a passion for working within multiple teams and proven ability to achieve results in a matrix organization.
- Is seen as a scientifically credible leader and collaborative partner to internal and external stakeholders.
- Consistently and systematically collaborates with internal stakeholders to plan approach to bring meaningful value to healthcare providers
- Ability to manage many complex projects in parallel, structuring the actions of many people toward share outcomes
- Highly motivated, decisive, and results-oriented individual with the flexibility and creativity to excel in a rapidly growing and changing environment
- Ability to flexibly tailor effective communication to multiple social styles
- Must embrace Sage’s core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun
- Title commensurate upon education, experience and qualifications.