The Head of Patient Advocacy will lead Sage’s external engagement with multiple professional and patient advocacy organizations. They will develop and implement external and internal collaborations that address patient needs through innovative partnerships that advance patient goals. He/she will be responsible for developing and implementing programs to bring the patient perspective into Sage decision making and develop opportunities for partnership across multiple programs and functions.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop strategic plan and holistic company philosophy around patient advocacy engagement and collaboration.
- Develop and facilitate communications between Sage and key national professional and patient advocacy groups, initially in the U.S and Canada with possibility to expand to the EU.
- Manage internal processes and ensure the patient perspective is incorporated into all appropriate initiatives which directly impact patients, including disease education programs, clinical trial design, research collaborations, patient services, and others.
- Serve as a key relationship manager with patient advocacy organizations to ensure productive ongoing partnerships.
- Work with internal stakeholders, including Corporate Affairs to identify, develop, and implement strategic alliances with professional and patient advocacy groups. Partner collaboratively with business functions (including, but not limited to: Commercial, Medical Affairs, R&D) to determine opportunities and needs for advocacy engagement.
- Develop tailored therapeutic area-driven advocacy partnership that include educational programs, advisory boards, patient speaker engagement, clinical trial awareness, policy advocacy, etc.
- Serve as an internal consultant to other company functions to help champion the patient perspective.
- Thoughtfully manage budgets and grants spend in association with partnerships and philanthropic support.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree; an advanced degree preferred
- Patient advocacy experience in the pharmaceutical industry; minimum of 8-10 years direct patient advocacy experience; 10-15 years of overall industry experience.
- Must possess strong strategic leadership attributes and ability to
- Prior experience in developing a patient advocacy capability
- Must possess excellent communication skills, relationship building capabilities, and proven ability to influence decision-making without authority.
- Must be willing and able to travel and regularly meet with patient advocacy organizations in the US and Canada and then more broadly in Europe as necessary.
- Must be highly perceptive, socially intelligent and intuitive
- Leadership skills, including a passion for working within multiple teams and proven ability to achieve results in a matrix organization.
- Is seen as a collaborative partner to internal and external stakeholders.
- Consistently and systematically collaborates with internal stakeholders to plan approach to bring meaningful value to healthcare providers
- Ability to manage many complex projects in parallel, structuring the actions of many people toward share outcomes
- Highly motivated, decisive, and results-oriented individual with the flexibility and creativity to excel in a rapidly growing and changing environment
- Ability to flexibly tailor effective communication to multiple social styles
- Must embrace Sage’s core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun