Title: Director, National Payer Accounts
Reports to: Senior Director, Commercial Payer National Accounts
General Scope and Summary
Sage Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role that is responsible for complete business ownership of multiple key National and Regional Managed Care (MC) Accounts. This position will facilitate access and reimbursement for Sage products and insure coordinated/targeted pull through with the field Sales and Marketing. The National Accounts Director (Market Access) will maintain a high level of collaboration and integration with Marketing, Sales, Medical, Legal, Strategic, Finance and Senior Leadership.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for complete business ownership of assigned essential Key Accounts; develops Account strategy and objectives in line with MC objectives; aligns Account strategy with other key Sales, Marketing, Medical and Managed Care functions and ensures cross-functional support.
- Builds and delivers strategic account plans for assigned MC Accounts; works effectively with colleagues in other functions to achieve Account patient access and sales goals.
- Creates and implements programs designed to build long-term relationships with Accounts, based on deep understanding of the customer organization, structure, business strategy and priorities.
- Is responsible for contract optimization, access, and reimbursement across the specific customer groups that are relevant to the account.
- Leads cross-functional teams and other assigned resources to develop and deliver MC Account business plans.
- Acts as a product and Account Management expert, providing advice and guidance as required to other business leaders.
- Acts as mentor to other MC Account Directors by sharing best practices on contracting, developing/executing best in class account plans, demonstrating knowledge of product/disease states, distribution system, product reimbursement, customer segments, and healthcare environment/regulations.
- Communicates customer insights and MC account-related activities to internal stakeholders, and engages with them to pursue business opportunities within assigned accounts.
- Identifies immediate growth opportunities and recommends pull through strategies
- Proactively identifies critical risk areas and develops mitigation strategies
- Collaborates with Marketing, HEOR, Medical and Finance to develop value based messaging and metrics to insure long term relationships with payer partners
- Negotiates and manages new business agreements aligned with brand strategy
- Works cross-functionally and collaboratively with Marketing, Sales, Medical, Legal, Contracting, Reimbursement, Finance to support development and Life Cycle Management activities. Serves as the Commercial Payer Channel subject matter expert (SME) for all internal stakeholders.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- A minimum ten years of experience in Pharmaceutical sales, marketing, or operations.
- Five years of experience in Account Management required.
- Commercial Payer and/or Home Infusion is strongly preferred.
- Must possess the ability to navigate complex accounts and drive product advocacy with all key stakeholders and decision makers within assigned accounts, including pharmacy and medical.
- Extensive experience in contract negotiation with large national accounts.
- Critical understanding of PBM, National and Regional Health Plan business and changing market landscape.
- Thorough understanding of the health care laws governing the health plan sector.
- Proven ability to navigate complex customers and build relationships across all key stakeholders, including executive management.
- Proven ability to maximize sales volume post formulary acceptance through effective collaboration and partnership with external customers and internal sales field forces (pull-through).
- Strong analytical and computer capabilities.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage