General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role that is responsible for the development and implementation of government channel strategy and tactics designed to secure, maintain and expand appropriate access and reimbursement for all Sage products. This person will be responsible for strategic imperatives and tactical planning for targeted government channels: FFS State Medicaid and Managed Medicaid plans, Medicare MAC’s, VA, DOD (Tricare East and West).
This position will facilitate access and reimbursement for Sage products and insure coordinated/targeted pull through with the field Sales and Marketing. The Director, Government Accounts (Market Access) will maintain a high level of collaboration and integration with Marketing, Sales, Product Development, Medical, Legal, Strategic Reimbursement, Training, Finance and Senior Leadership.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develops, implements and manages regional government channel payer strategies for Sage products.
- Identifies immediate growth opportunities and recommends pull through strategies
- Proactively identifies critical risk areas and develops mitigation strategies
- Collaborates with Marketing, HEOR, Medical and Finance to develop value based messaging and metrics to insure long term relationships with payer partners
- Builds long-term strategic partnerships and leads cross-functional support for payer initiatives, including appropriate internal, field-based and external stakeholders
- Identify and engage KOL support
- Identify and develop payer advisors/advocacy to address policy and business issues
- Develop and maintain channel-specific partnerships with Medicare Contractors, Carrier Advisory Committee (CAC) members, professional medical societies, and members/officials within the US Veteran and Military Healthcare Systems
- Serves as internal project lead to establish and execute payer initiatives in collaboration with marketing, reimbursement, sales, HEOR and internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborates with field, corporate account directors and internal team to execute on strategies and pull through
- Explores and assesses business opportunities for Sage products to increase sales revenue/profit; assessment to potentially include Trade and distribution, SP and Specialty Distributor channels, Accountable Care Organizations and Integrated Delivery Networks
- Negotiates and manages new business agreements aligned with brand strategy
- Works cross-functionally and collaboratively with Marketing, Sales, Medical, Legal, Contracting, Reimbursement, Finance to support development and Life Cycle Management activities. Serves as the Government Channel subject matter expert (SME) for all internal stakeholders.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree required. Preferred major in sales, marketing and/or relevant healthcare related area
- Minimum 10 years of pharmaceutical/biotech industry experience
- Minimum 8 years of field-based Market Access Account Management experience with a proven track record in access and reimbursement, working with biotech specialty products (Commercial Account Management, Government Account Channels, Market Access Payer Marketing, Patient/Provider Reimbursement HUB services and some degree of coding and claims processing
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating agreements/contracts
- In-depth understanding of the functions and procedures of distribution channel, wholesalers and specialty pharmacy, including physician buy and bill reimbursement models
- Strong understanding of payer market and payer dynamics, both commercial and government funded and experience in different access and reimbursement models, including Medicare Parts B and D, Medicare Advantage (e.g., Medicare Coverage Determinations (NCDs, LCDs and Coverage Articles), ASP pricing
- In-depth understanding of Health Care Reform, Medical Policy and the legislative arena
- In-depth understanding of coverage, coding, and reimbursement for specialty therapies across all sites of care: CMS ASP, HOPD, ASC, OPPS, J and C Codes
- In-depth understanding of federal GSA contracts and pricing requirements (FSS, BPA, DAPA/E-CAT - Defense Logistics Agency)
- Launch experience of Specialty Pharmaceuticals
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing targeted pull through to maximize sales objectives with the appropriate/needed training
- Outstanding customer relationships, interpersonal and communication skills with the established ability to effectively communicate across diverse audiences and influence cross-functionally
- Willingness to travel 50% or more both domestically and internationally
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage