General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role that is responsible for developing and executing strategic pricing and contracting strategies through all stages of Sages product lifecycles to optimize patient access, our brand value and competitive advantage. This includes leading cross-functional pricing strategy development, execution, and managing effective relationships with brand leadership, commercial partners and scenario analysis/modeling for overall financial and legal viability.
An overall knowledge of managed markets, reimbursement, pricing, and contracting is a must. She/he will discuss the profitability of contracts across the company portfolio and provide leadership where appropriate to answer contracting related questions, create strategy, and deploy tactics. They should be familiar with and able to discuss different contracting approaches, and relevant topics across both infusion and oral therapies.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop, manage, and maintain Sage’s brand pricing, reimbursement and contracting strategies through product lifecycle and that align with optimal market performance
- Work with internal stakeholders to develop strategies and recommendations to optimize Sage’s pricing and contracting effectiveness, patient access and competitive advantage
- Execution of list and net pricing strategies, and monitoring and evaluation of contract performance for all customer segments (e.g., Managed Care, Non-Federal Hospitals, Long-Term Care, Medicare Part D, Medicaid (FFS & MM), Exchanges and Federal)
- Oversee Government Contract operations, including ensuring accurate and timely submissions across Government Prices, such as AMP, BP, 340B, URA, NFAMP, other state reporting and validations of TPA calculations.
- Function as Government Pricing lead over the Sub-Certification process to assess impact of internal controls and changes to the process flows as they relate to the accurate calculation of Government Price types.
- Drive and create contract analysis across all books of business to support Sage brand strategy.
- Build relationships and work collaboratively across the business with all internal/external customers, partners and other stakeholders
- Stay abreast of macro trends in the healthcare environment that potentially impact current and/or future product pricing, contracting and associated strategies across Sage’s product portfolio
- Develop analyze and manage contract offering for managed care accounts in collaboration with account management team. Ensure execution of approved and finalized customer contracts; including timely and accurate hand-off to other internal partners/stakeholders
- Monitors existing customer contracts using approved performance methodologies, tools, etc.; includes identifying and recommending opportunities for improvement
- Collect, interpret and disseminate internal and external pricing and contracting information to help internal customers, partners and other stakeholders with timely decision-making, that aligns with brand and corporate opportunities and/or risks
- Provide relevant customers, partners and other stakeholders with in-depth, evidenced based, accurate brand analyses, modeling, assumptions, recommendations and solutions for optimal scenarios to meet strategic, financial and operational objectives. Includes articulating operational complexities, operational pull-through, implications, requirements, impacts and the like for all recommended strategies
- Support brand pricing, and contracting strategy, as needed, in developing internal and external communications that define and educate others on Sage’s approach, relevant philosophies and practices
- Work with finance to develop and maintain gross to net forecast and government rebate forecast (including Medicare and Medicaid rebates), and to accurately reflect gross/net revenues and respond to audit requests
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Advanced degree (e.g. MBA, PharmD, MPH) preferred.
- 10-15 years + of biotech/pharma experience in functions such as, contracting, pricing, strategic planning, finance, market research, managed care and/or other salient fields within the bio/pharma industry
- Be a content expert within the Market Access Space. This should specifically include knowledge of the pharmacy and medical benefits, Medicare (FFS and Managed), Medicaid, and Federal purchasing programs
- Demonstrable experience with value proposition generation
- Experience utilizing economic evidence to develop value proposition and pricing strategies
- Demonstrated leader and high performance in US pricing, contracting, payer and HEOR strategy execution.
- Specialty infusion therapy launch experience a plus
- Proficient acumen of the relevant policies and guidelines that affect managed care contracts and contract administration, pricing and payment adjustments. Strong knowledge of systems and reporting mechanisms that supports pharmaceutical contract administration. Working knowledge of pricing and contracting strategy development methodologies and modeling
- Proven management experience with building teams, coaching, developing and performance management
- Demonstrable knowledge of current policies and guidelines that affect contracts, pricing, rebates etc. in the managed care environment
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage