General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role to provide strategic direction to support the attraction, retention and motivation of Sage employees ensuring compensation and benefits are aligned with Sage company and HR strategy and high-performance culture. Lead the Total Rewards function to effectively evaluate, design, implement, and communicate compensation, benefits and recognition strategy, programs, policies and initiatives that competitively position Sage in the attraction and retention of talent. This role also includes oversight of our systems strategy and the implementation of the appropriate systems and processes to leverage data and analytics to drive our people related decisions.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Creates and drives strategy that supports building a workforce of top talent to help Sage achieve its growth strategies.
- Creatively develop strategies that positions Sage as a leader in the market by rethinking work life experience via Family-Centric Practices.
- Develops and communicates the organization’s total rewards strategy as it relates to base salary, variable pay, equity, benefits, work / life components, recognition, and incentives consistent with the company’s Total Rewards Philosophy.
- Ownership of the design and communication strategies of total rewards programs to effectively attract and retain key talent, enabling the organization to meet key priorities and the needs of the business.
- Creates and designs compensation and benefits models to drive desired outcomes on critical business initiatives.
- Design creative, innovation rewards and recognition program that allows Sage to retain and engage team members.
- Partner with HR leadership and external executive compensation consultants on the design, development and recommendations of materials for the Compensation Committee.
- Ensure adequate estimates, forecasts, and calculation of expenditures/value in compensation, benefits, and equity programs for budget planning and to enable effective decision making.
- Monitors market data, guidelines and compensation policies in order to develop and ensure consistency and competitiveness in compensation and benefits programs.
- Provides oversight of Commercial sales and other field-based compensation programs to ensure appropriateness and alignment with broader company compensation philosophy.
- Work with HR leadership to further develop/refine strategies to advance HRIS systems globally.
- Ensure data integrity, analytics and reporting to drive data based organizational and people related decisions.
- Keeps abreast of current market practices and assesses competitiveness of the compensation, benefit and wellness practices and programs.
- Ensures compliance with all governmental regulations related to compensation, benefits and wellness.
- Works with other members of HR Leadership team on various projects and activities to ensure the company attracts and retains the right talent for the organization.
- Provide broad mentorship, guidance and leadership to Human Resources team members in a direct and indirect management capacity.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline required. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible experience within the total rewards functions
- Industry experience within pre-commercial and commercial Bio/Pharma or other life sciences highly preferred. Experience of navigating through high growth a plus.
- Knowledge and experience across the spectrum of broad-based total rewards and in-depth understanding of executive compensation design and administration.
- Experience selecting and managing external consulting relationships.
- Compensation and/or Benefits certifications a plus.
- Expert knowledge in managing a multi-faceted compensation plan including short-term and long-term incentives for a broad range of employee populations.
- Experience developing/enhancing global systems strategy
- Proven ability to implement and/or upgrade HR systems on a global scale
- Proven ability to gauge effectiveness of the organization's compensation and benefits programs and translate data into solutions to continually improve programs and practices.
- Ability to think globally, strategically, and objectively. Effectively translates data into actionable insights, strategies and financial plans.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage