General Scope and Summary
Sage Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role that is responsible to serve as a primary resource for scientific communications with assigned payer organizations to demonstrate the value of Sage’s approved products. Communication will include approved scientific, medical, financial, and health care economic data that will be shared with formulary decision makers, pharmacy directors, medical directors, their advisors and similar entities making or influencing market access decisions. In addition, the incumbent will facilitate external HEOR collaborations aligning with SAGE's mission.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The HEOR Field Liaison will concentrate their activities on region specific entities which may include: State Medicaid, specialty pharmacy, PBM, managed care, integrated delivery networks, other healthcare systems
- Responsible for developing sustainable payer relationships and discussing comprehensive scientific, health economic, epidemiology and patient-reported outcomes data
- Discuss the value of Sage approved products to payers / population health decision makers / hospital formularies to inform appropriate access to treatment; to include appropriate coverage policies and authorization criteria
- Collaborate, as appropriate, with other customer facing teams to provide comprehensive customer support
- Leverage approved scientific, medical, financial, and healthcare economic data
- Collaborate, as appropriate, with healthcare professionals, payers / hospitals, using their own data, to evaluate real-world outcomes and effectiveness as well as other health economic studies, as appropriate
- Act as a conduit between the external payer environment and the Sage HEOR in-house team ensuring activities are robust in filling critical success factors and evidence gaps from a payer perspective
- Build and maintain technical and clinical expertise across therapeutic areas to engage in deep scientific discussions
- Engage in continuous learning within the therapeutic area they represent
- Attend appropriate scientific meetings, conduct routine literature searches, and will be expected to communicate regularly with each other to assure that the entire group benefits from individual learning whenever it is relevant
- Support regional and national managed care / healthcare systems congresses
- Collaborate with legal and compliance departments to establish and follow processes for compliant proactive communication and scientific exchange with payers / population health decision makers / hospital formularies, and to ensure that all other activities undertaken by the field-based HEOR team comply with applicable laws and regulations and Sage policies
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- A minimum of a Master’s in Public Health, Health Economics or related field is required.
- Advanced degree (doctorate) in Public Health, Health Services Research, Health Economics, Epidemiology, Medicine, Pharmacy or related field is strongly preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years HEOR experience including 2 years field based experience. Hospital, CNS, and/or women’s health experience is a plus
- Demonstrated ability in executing HEOR (collaborative) studies for field-related activities with proven ability to anticipate key customers’ needs with sufficient lead time for execution of tactical plans
- This role is a field based position and the ideal candidate must be able to travel approximately 70% of the time, including ability to travel overnight and occasionally on weekends for congresses/meetings.
- Must possess strong scientific and clinical knowledge, excellent presentation and teaching skills
- Comprehensive understanding of the US payer market landscape
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage