General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role as the Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry.
The candidate will have a strong track record in drug discovery and help lead our Medicinal Chemistry programs focusing on small molecule drugs for CNS disorders. A demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, start-up environment will be essential as well as strong managerial and organization skills in an outsource setting. The position requires individuals with an exceptional grasp of the entire interdisciplinary drug discovery process from lead generation to development candidate nomination. A strong background in structure-based drug design and the use of computational chemistry tools is desirable. In addition, the candidate will have demonstrated highly tuned people management, organizational and decision-making skills. Excellent oral and written communication, along with interpersonal skills and an ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders is required. Strong desire and ability to excel in a multidisciplinary environment as an integral leader and team member across multiple project teams is essential.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design, implement and execute medicinal chemistry tactical strategies at various CRO’s.
- Establish partnering strategies to leverage external knowledge and capabilities, and effectively plan resource allocation to achieve team goals
- Drive scientific tactical strategies and managerial leadership in an outsourced Medicinal Chemistry environment
- The ability to interact and contribute to internal multidisciplinary drug discovery project teams is essential
- Provide timely and well-organized reports to project teams
- Collaborate effectively with the leadership team and other departmental managers and functions.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Doctoral degree (PhD) or equivalent in synthetic organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry
- 7+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry, with a strong track record of scientific innovation and success in delivering clinical candidates
- In-depth knowledge of the entire drug R&D processes, expertise in ADME/PK, pharmacology
- A strong background in SBDD and the use of computational chemistry tools is a plus
- A natural leader with effective organizational, interpersonal, communication and managerial skills who is able to motivate and inspire others
- Demonstrated leadership of project teams in a cross-functional environment
- Demonstrated technical proficiency, scientific creativity, independent thought, and ability to effectively collaborate with others
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage