General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker to work with a growing drug discovery unit at a dynamic neuroscience company. The role will support the in vitro pharmacology function by providing pharmacology support to ongoing lead optimization programs as well as supporting new target identification and assay generation.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Execute in vitro pharmacology research strategies across Discovery programs, applying expert knowledge of advanced principles, theories, and concepts in areas of expertise.
- Manage a network of CROs to design and interpret outsourced in vitro pharmacology studies to evaluate the activities of small molecule drug candidates, investigate their mechanisms of action, and explore novel therapeutic hypotheses
- Provides scientific leadership in areas of expertise.
- Develop and implement in vitro innovative approaches and technologies to further exploratory efforts
- Think strategically about drug development and drive innovative solutions to key challenges across the organization
- May lead cross functional drug discovery teams to bring therapeutic candidates to clinical development.
- Identify novel targets for CNS drug discovery programs and identify key go/no go workstreams and decision trees to prosecute exploratory projects
- Prepare, review and deliver scientific presentations for internal/external use.
- Develop collaborative relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Maintain expert knowledge of state-of-the-art principles/theories.
- Can independently interpret data and make recommendation on next steps.
- Establishes, monitors, and optimizes work-flows to enable execution of studies across programs and departments.
- Represents the organization as key technical contact on contracts or projects requiring cross-functional coordination inside and outside of the company.
- Key contributor to high-quality, regulatory documents and scientific publications.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Ph.D. in Neuroscience, Pharmacology, Biomedical Science or other relevant scientific discipline with at least 6+ years of relevant experience; or MS with 10+ years of relevant experience.
- A proven track record in progressing drug targets from validation to early clinical development.
- Experience leading cross functional drug discovery teams to bring therapeutic candidates to clinical development desired
- Expertise in in vitro pharmacology with a demonstrated track record of independent research and peer-reviewed publications.
- Experience as key team member on ion channel drug discovery programs is be highly desired
- Ability to effectively work well with others in a highly collaborative, matrixed research environment.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully influence internal and external cross-functional teams by promoting creative problem solving, clear decision-making and accountability
- Excellent scientific and team-directed communication skills required.
- Can conduct independent research and be a team player
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities
- Comfortable with taking risks, creative problem solving, and changing direction
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage