Title: Director Translational Science
Reports to: Senior Director and Head of Integrative Pharmacology and Translational Science
General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is seeking a creative, resourceful, collaborative, and entrepreneurial neuroscientist to provide strategic leadership within a growing Translational Neuroscience team. The Director of Translational Science will be expected to lead a team of translational scientists to design, validate, and execute translational plans for a growing portfolio of Sage programs. In addition, the Director of Translational Science will serve as a key strategic resource for exploratory biology, experimental medicine, and clinical science teams – providing key biological validation by leveraging insight gained from patient-derived functional, genetic, and biochemical biomarkers. The ideal candidate will have strong in vivo biology expertise and the ability to integrate across core complementary technical disciplines, e.g., behavior, biochemistry, genomics, systems biology and neurophysiology, and quantitative sciences. Experience with clinical aspects of translational biology and biomarker research is highly desirable.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides scientific leadership in areas of biomarker development and translational science.
- Pro-actively designs, plans, and executes all aspects of research strategies; maintains a strong track record of delivering high quality data and strategic insight into program teams.
- Provides scientific leadership to multiple cross-functional teams (e.g. exploratory biology, clinical sub-teams, experimental medicine),
- Identifies and establishes partnering plans with leading research groups to leverage external knowledge and capabilities, and effectively contribute to resource allocation plans.
- Manages and mentors a team of translational scientists to develop, validate, and implement new biomarkers.
- Develops and manages functional budget.
- Prepares and communicates lucid scientific reports (written and verbal) to project teams.
- Drives implementation of a robust biomarker / translational science publication strategy.
- Key contributor to high-quality, regulatory documents and scientific publications.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
The successful candidate will be expected to thrive in the fast paced, dynamic, and nimble environment of a rapidly growing company that depends on strong links and collaboration with contract research organization, academia and nonprofit organizations. Candidate should have substantial experience working with drug discovery and development teams in a matrixed environment. Ability to effectively communicate complex data and results to various stakeholders including: clinicians, program team leaders, senior management is a must. May function as a Discovery or Early Development program lead.
- Ph.D. in neuroscience, biology, pharmacology or a related scientific discipline with at least 10 years of relevant experience.
- Multidisciplinary in vivo pharmacologist/systems biologist with complementary technical experience, such as electrophysiology, genomics, neurochemistry, and /or neuroanatomy.
- Substantial knowledge of CNS drug discovery and development with direct leadership experience; expertise a project leader in Discovery is highly desirable.
- Experience with building and managing high-performing teams.
- Computational or programming experience with MATLAB, Pipeline Pilot, Spotfire, GraphPad Prism, Origin, and/or other relevant software or platforms is desirable.
- Experience interacting with external vendors and with outsource models of R & D highly desirable.
- Ability to effectively work well with others in a highly collaborative, matrixed research environment.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully influence internal and external cross-functional teams by promoting creative problem solving, clear decision-making and accountability.
- Excellent scientific and team-directed communication skills required.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage