Title: Area Sales Director (South)
Reports to: VP Sales and Account Management
Location: Field based within Area geography
General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative sales leader for an important role that will responsible for building and leading a new sales and account management team for the launch of SAGE-547 in Post-Partum Depression (PPD) and Sage’s future product portfolio in the US Marketplace. This critical leadership role represents a unique opportunity to help shape the functional build, staffing, and deployment of a best in class sales and account management team. This is a multi-disciplinary commercial leadership role with accountability for sales and account management teams with different functional responsibilities that span across Hospital and Health System, Home Infusion Provider, and outpatient office and clinic customer settings. The Area Sales Director will have full accountability for the field sales and account management organizations in their respective geography. This includes leadership of Regional Directors, Account Managers, and Office Based Sales teams. This high -profile leadership role will be part of a team of four Area Sales Directors with the opportunity to make a large impact.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Achieving the Area sales targets for SAGE-547 and future portfolio.
- Development and execution of Area business plans that are aligned with meeting corporate and commercial business objectives.
- Provide input and support to completing the functional builds for sales and account. management including defining core work, roles and responsibilities, competency sets, policies, processes/procedures, tools and technologies, training, and rewards and incentives.
- Play a key role in building a best in class Sales and Account Management organization capable of launching a new products and treatment paradigms in the hospital and outpatient settings.
- Leading the Area sales organization consisting of Regional Directors, Account Managers and Office-based sales specialists.
- Building a culture of compliance to ensure that all promotional activities are fully compliant with Company policies and Legal and Regulatory guidelines.
- Coaching, training, and mentoring first line leaders; sourcing key talent internally and externally to maintain a bench of key talent.
- Ensure cross-functional alignment of key strategies and tactics, and ensure effective communication and implementation at the regional and territory levels.
- Contributing as a critical stakeholder to Marketing, Market Access, and Commercial Operations strategic plans.
- Maintaining a high-degree of presence and visibility in the field with sales personnel and key customers.
- Identifying and building optimal field facing capabilities, raising awareness to unmet needs and championing new customer-centric solutions internally to drive innovation.
- Review and analyze key reports to ensure quarterly and annual objectives are met. Continuously review, evaluate and make recommendations regarding sales strategies.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to set a vision and strategy and to communicate with clarity into actionable plans to drive results.
- 10+ years related experience in the biotechnology industry with a proven, consistent history of high performance in range of leadership roles of increasing responsibility.
- 6+ years of progressive sales leadership experience with demonstrated results as a second line leader.
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishment in regional sales management. Ability to build highly effective cross-functional teams.
- Record of achievement in building infrastructure, programs, policies and systems to ensure team success against goals and deliverables; ability to lead both strategically and tactically.
- Proven launch experience leading others in highly complicated and competitive environments.
- Demonstrates exceptional leadership, management and communication skills to inspire sales and account management teams to achieve high levels of performance.
- Experience building out and leading new teams and functions preferred.
- Demonstrated success leading teams of account managers responsible for securing product access and pull through in hospitals / health systems is pivotal to the role.
- Demonstrated track record of coaching and developing next-generation leaders.
- Recent experience in the commercialization of infused therapies and/or in rare disease markets is highly desired; current leadership of Account Management organizations.
- Expert level knowledge of pricing and reimbursement and market access strategies across hospital, outpatient clinic, and home infusion sites of care is needed.
- Brand marketing and National/Regional Payer account management experience is highly desired.
- Strong team player who has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Ability to travel up to 50-70%.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- BA/BS degree required. Advanced Degree in Business, Marketing or Life Sciences preferred.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage.