General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for an experienced, creative, resourceful, team-oriented, integrative thinker for an important role enhancing our portfolio of emerging projects aimed at creating the drugs of the future working within our Exploratory Research group. Responsible for providing scientific and people leadership, the successful candidate will be a highly motivated scientist with a demonstrable track record of successful initiation of drug discovery projects and progression into the lead optimization stage and beyond.
We are looking for a scientist with a can-do attitude and experienced networking within the life science ecosystem, with the proven ability to manage the risks of drug discovery efforts with novel drug targets and working in close collaboration with in-house team members, multiple CROs, academic labs and non-for-profit organizations.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Exploratory Research core team member
- Scientific leader with responsibilities to design a critical path and champion early projects to key decision points
- Contribute to reviewing inbound business development opportunities in early discovery
- Partner with internal functional area colleagues and CROs to develop milestone-based plans to deliver projects at the lead optimization stage
- Prepare, review and deliver scientific presentations for internal/external use
- Stay current on state-of-the-art principles and developments relevant to drug discovery
- Proven record of scientific innovation and success delivering development/clinical candidates, preferably in a Project Leader role.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- PhD degree, with experience in industrial early research and development phase activities
- Understanding of the qualifications required for tool compounds used in different in vitro and in vivo pharmacology models, especially those used in CNS drug discovery
- Ability to use scientific methods to formulate and test biological hypotheses, analyze, interpret and report results
- Aggressively identifying new, relevant scientific developments and working with our teams to incorporate them into our decision-making process
- Experienced and comfortable working in a matrix environment
- Ability to develop positive relationships with all components of the life science ecosystem, including patient right organizations, patients and their families, nurses and doctors, government agencies and academic scientists
- Excel at parallel execution of a range of diverse activities
- Experience within neuroinflammation drug discovery areas a plus
- Strong scientific reputation evidenced by a good publication record
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage