General Scope and Summary:
Sage Therapeutics (www.sagerx.com) is searching for a highly-motivated, resourceful, detail-oriented individual to join our growing Finance team. This position will be responsible for working as a part of our accounting team on internal controls, equity and SEC reporting. The Senior Accountant, Controls will support the company’s SOX compliance, equity accounting and SEC reporting activities in accordance with Sage’s policies and guidelines. This is a hands-on position and the ability to multitask and work with others is essential. This individual will report to the AD, SEC Reporting and Controls.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist with preparation and coordination of controls narratives, matrices and related documents for both accounting and IT.
- Assist with the testing of key controls and address follow-up questions.
- Assist in managing the teams of auditors, including review of request lists and scheduling.
- Prepare disclosures, help manage time-lines and interact with auditors to assist with the SEC reporting process for 10-Qs, 10-Ks and the proxy statements.
- Perform equity accounting such as the option/RSU rollforward, weighted average shares, EPS and the forfeiture rate.
- Support equity processes, such as the ESPP plan – communications to employees and the enrollment periods.
- Ad hoc reporting and special projects, as needed.
Experience, Education, Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to help implement plans to address complex issues and willingness to make recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action, excellent analytical skills, an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks. High level of customer relations skills and ability to work with people at multiple levels in the organization.
- BA/BS with a major in Accounting, Finance or Business Management.
- 5+ years’ experience; auditing and/or pharmaceutical industry experience a plus.
- Solid understanding of Sarbanes Oxley regulations a plus.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and effective in working collaboratively with cross-functional team members and with external partners.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to drill-in to operational details while maintaining appropriate whole-company perspective (zoom-in, zoom-out); strong analytical skills with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Experience working with multiple levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution-oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.