General Scope and Summary
Sage Therapeutics is searching for a senior corporate lawyer with significant experience representing public biotechnology or pharmaceutical companies for a highly visible role. Reporting directly to the General Counsel, this role will handle the broad spectrum of legal issues related to pharmaceutical research, development, and manufacturing, including responsibility for public company SEC reporting activities and general corporate matters; working with the contracts management team to review and negotiate contracts; and collaborating with other members of the Legal team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Handle corporate governance and SEC reporting matters, including annual and quarterly SEC reports, Section 16 filings, proxy statements, and offerings.
- Working with a team of contract managers to draft, review, negotiate and interpret a wide range of agreements, including clinical trial agreements; master service agreements; consulting agreements; manufacturing agreements; licensing and research collaborations; and other strategic agreements for drug development, manufacture and supply and commercialization.
- Work across all company departments to meet business objectives.
- Participate in developing legal strategy and direction for the Company.
- Provide leadership on cross-functional teams, identify legal issues, provide legal options and analysis of possible legal solutions, and give recommendations for addressing critical issues so that business and legal objectives are met.
- Proactively help address potential securities compliance issues to prevent or minimize legal risk to the company.
- Interacting with external counsel, advisors, external vendors, and business partners.
- Working collaboratively and creatively with internal clients by clearly and effectively rendering practical and timely legal advice on complex issues/concepts.
- Advising on the interpretation of legal documents and applicable laws and regulations in a manner that provides practical legal advice while properly managing risk to the organization.
- Keeping informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends affecting the organization, and assisting with development of policies and training as needed.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, and maintaining high quality and high standards. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Strong contract drafting and writing skills. Excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Law Degree from a nationally recognized law school and member of a state bar.
- 10+ years’ experience in legal practice (with a combination of large law firm and in-house experience strongly valued).
- Experience working as in-house counsel or external counsel in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry responsible for providing legal advice on a broad set of general corporate matters.
- Significant experience working on corporate governance and SEC reporting matters
- Strong base of knowledge and experience advising clients on laws and regulations governing the pharmaceutical industry, including FDA regulations, False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, OIG guidance, the PhRMA Code, HIPAA, and product liability laws, is highly valued.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills and the capacity to simultaneously handle a variety of complex matters.
- Strong demonstrated experience drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Well-organized and hardworking, with the ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Ability to form strong working relationships with other employees and partners while maintaining firm adherence to proper legal standards.
- Sound business judgment and strategic thinking. Flexibility and an interest in working on a broad variety of legal matters in order to understand and advise the Company on legal implications of its business strategy.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage