Title: Key Account Manager
Reports to: Regional Business Director
General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a patient-inspired, results oriented, and collaborative account manager with a proven track record of launching new products in the acute and outpatient setting. The ideal candidate will have deep experience working with health systems and hospitals to enable complex therapeutic delivery and coordination of care. This critical role will drive the commercial launch of SAGE-547 in Post-Partum Depression (PPD) and Sage’s future product portfolio in the US Marketplace. The individual must be aligned with Sage’s Core Values of putting people first, being accountable, learning through growth and change, doing big and work fun. In addition, this individual will be an essential component to the success of the Commercial Vision, to become a global leader in CNS; build an organization led by science driven to improve the lives of patients and families.
The Key Account Manager will possess a high level of clinical aptitude and business acumen coupled with authentic empathy for patients and families while establishing solution seeking partnerships with all key stakeholders in the marketplace. Along with executing all promotional activity in their geography; they will have a key role in leading, developing, and executing the local market strategy; analyzing key business drivers and trends; building effective cross-functional and cross-regional partnerships; ensuring execution of their business plan both at a geography and account level. In addition, the KAM will work closely with local and regional patient advocacy groups and disease state awareness foundations. This position requires adaptability and the capacity to find success through ambiguity, problem solving and project management in an innovative manner with a willingness to take appropriate risk.
The KAM territory includes the following areas: State of Illinois (excluding Chicago)
Roles and Responsibilities
- Achieving the territory sales targets for SAGE-547 and future portfolio
- Development and execution of market and key account business plans that are aligned with meeting corporate and commercial business objectives
- Deliver business results ensuring all promotional activities are fully compliant with Company policies and Legal and Regulatory guidelines
- Develops, implements and manages regional strategic accounts (hospital/IDN) for Sage products.
- Identifies immediate growth opportunities within the institutional channel and recommends pull through strategies
- Proactively identifies critical risk areas and develops mitigation strategies
- Collaborates with field partners, corporate account directors and internal team to execute on strategies and pull through
- Ability to think critically to navigate complexities in patient care pathways and sites of care
- Problem solver and willingness to take appropriate risk in order to seek solutions
- Leading without authority to accomplish necessary business with others both internally and externally
- Participates in and leads cross-functional team to evaluate competitive activity, identify key opportunities and develop specific market objectives, strategies, tactics, and action plans that optimize business performance.
- Analyzes the market to understand the local healthcare environment (reimbursement, coverage, healthcare delivery models, transitions in care and patient pathways) and uses this knowledge to identify and leverage business opportunities.
- Identify and engage KOL support
- Identify and develop hospital/IDN advisors/advocacy to address policy and business issues as well as formulary decisions
- Collaborates with Sales, National Account Directors, Trade, Marketing, HEOR, and Medical to build long-term strategic partnerships with targeted accounts
- Serves as the hospital/IDN channel subject matter expert (SME) for all internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrates thorough understand of disease state and treatment options and their impact on patients, payers, institutions, health systems and healthcare providers.
- Influences formulary decision making and protocol development within the hospital/IDN channel aligned with brand strategy.
- Utilizes market data and industry knowledge to anticipate and understand business trends and developments.
- Participates in industry meetings, exhibits, and conventions, as appropriate, to build business relevant relationships with a customer base deep and wide within key accounts while establishing Sage Therapeutics as a leader in CNS
- Promote a customer-centered culture that strives to exceed customer needs, requirements, and expectations by educating and developing rapport with external customers.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills, ability to lead without authority, and communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- BA/BS degree required.
- A minimum eight years of experience in Pharmaceutical sales, marketing, or operations.
- 3 + years of experience key account management
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishment in account management.
- Hospital/IDN channel and/or Home Infusion is strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to navigate complex accounts to build relationships and drive product advocacy with all key stakeholders and decision makers within assigned accounts, including executive management, pharmacy and medical.
- Critical understanding of medical groups, hospitals and integrated delivery networks as well as the changing market landscape.
- Thorough understanding of the health care landscape inclusive of legislation and policy guiding market behaviors.
- Proven ability to maximize sales volume post formulary acceptance through effective collaboration and partnership with external customers and internal sales field forces (pull-through).
- Strong analytical and computer capabilities to analyze the market, evaluate customer needs and objectives and outline business opportunities.
- Ability to create territory/account plans to engage customers in areas of mutual interest; aligns internal stakeholders on plans of action and coordinates account and company resources to execute.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence organization for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel up to 30-50%
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage