Title: Therapeutic Business Specialist
Reports to: Regional Business Director
General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a patient-inspired, results oriented and collaborative sales professional with a proven track record of launching new products in the acute and outpatient setting. They will be part of an inaugural sales team. The ideal candidate will have deep experience working with a wide range of customers to promote and support a complex therapeutic delivery and coordination of care. Customers include OB/GYNs, Psychiatrists, Family Practice and other related healthcare professionals. This critical role will drive the commercial launch of SAGE-547 in Post-Partum Depression (PPD) and Sage’s future product portfolio in the US Marketplace. The individual must be aligned with Sage’s Core Values of putting people first, being accountable, learning through growth and change, doing big and work fun. In addition, this individual will be an essential component to the success of the Commercial Vision, to become a global leader in CNS; build an organization led by science driven to improve the lives of patients and families.
The Therapeutic Business Specialist (TBS) will possess a high level of clinical aptitude and business acumen coupled with authentic empathy for patients and families while establishing solution seeking partnerships with all key stakeholders in the marketplace. Along with executing all sales promotional activity in their geography, they will have a key role in leading, developing, and executing the territory sales strategy; analyzing key business drivers and trends; building effective cross-functional and cross-regional partnerships; and ensuring execution of their business plan. In addition, the TBS will work closely with local key opinion leaders to support advocacy for PPD. This position requires adaptability and the capacity to find success through ambiguity, problem solving and project management in an innovative manner with a willingness to take appropriate risks.
The TBS territory includes: Eastern Minneapolis and extends south to Rochester
Roles and Responsibilities
- Achieves the territory sales targets for SAGE-547 and future portfolio.
- Promotes a customer-centered culture that strives to exceed customer needs, requirements, and expectations by educating and developing rapport with external customers.
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of disease state and treatment options and their impact on patients, payers, institutions, health systems and healthcare providers.
- Analyzes the market to understand the local healthcare environment (reimbursement, coverage, healthcare delivery models, transitions in care and patient pathways) and uses this knowledge to identify and leverage business opportunities.
- Development and execution of territory sales business plans that are aligned with meeting corporate and commercial business objectives
- Deliver business results ensuring all sales promotional activities are fully compliant with Company policies and Legal and Regulatory guidelines
- Collaborates with matrix teams (KAMs, Market Access, Trade, Marketing, etc.) to execute on strategies and pull through
- Ability to think critically to navigate complexities in patient care pathways and sites of care
- Problem solver and willingness to take appropriate risk in order to seek solutions
- Leading without authority to accomplish necessary business with others both internally and externally
- Identify and engage KOL support
- Participates in industry meetings, exhibits, and conventions, as appropriate, to build business relevant relationships while establishing Sage Therapeutics as a leader in CNS
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills, ability to lead without authority, and communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- BA/BS degree required
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in biopharmaceutical sales, marketing or operations
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in specialty biopharmaceutical sales
- Experience in specialty categories such as Women’s Health, CNS, Rare Disease, Infusion and their treatment options strongly preferred
- Consistent track record of top sales performance including recognition for achievement/overachievement of sales goals
- Deep local market knowledge
- Critical understanding of medical groups, hospitals and integrated delivery networks as well as the changing market landscape
- Strong analytical and computer capabilities to analyze the market, evaluate customer needs and objectives and outline business opportunities
- Ability to create territory plans to engage customers in areas of mutual interest; aligns internal stakeholders on plans of action and coordinates account and company resources to execute
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage