General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role as the Associate Director, Medical Science Liaisons. The Associate Director, Medical Science Liaisons will partner with the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Leadership Team to hire, build, and lead a team of MSLs.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides ongoing guidance to MSLs in cultivating current and future thought leaders in academic and clinical medicine at the local, regional, and national levels.
- Responsible for the execution of all efforts, initiatives and activities as well as ongoing competency evaluation and development of individual MSLs within their region.
- Create and execute short & long-term regional medical plans, oversee relationships with key accounts in region with a solid understanding of regional/national competitive landscape.
- Establish individual goals and strategy for MSLs, maintain & manage budgets, plan and execute regional meetings as well as participate in development and implementation of medical strategies, while acting as key member of cross member Medical Affairs team to develop and drive medical strategy and tactics.
- Provides ongoing feedback to internal product and therapeutic teams within Medical Affairs to ensure clear understanding of field clinical insights and incorporation into key strategic decisions.
- Develops mutually beneficial relationships with external clients (physicians, scientific experts, hospital teams, educators and investigators) within a defined regional geography and internal business partners.
- Ensures collection and summary reporting of regional clinical insights and unanswered customer questions received from external contacts to the appropriate teams internally.
- Understands and effectively communicates current scientific knowledge
- Engages in continuous learning within the therapeutic areas they represent.
- Effectively manages administrative activities of self and team members:
- Includes proficiency in computer skills and database entry, continual compliance of all procedural requirements of the role (i.e. good documentation practices, standards and procedures,) and appropriate utilization and best practice sharing of available resources.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- PharmD., DO, Ph.D., RN in with 7+ years of relevant clinical, scientific and/or industry medical affairs experience in Neurology/Epilepsy/Critical Care/Psychiatry/Women’s Health.
- Demonstrated track record as an Associate Director or Director leading MSL teams.
- Demonstrated track record of success as Sr. MSL or above with prior experience leading or mentoring MSLs. Sought out as a leader and mentor to others.
- Demonstrates change agility, maintaining a positive attitude, anticipating and proactively adapting actions to seize opportunities during times of rapid change and/or uncertainly.
- Enhances organizational collaboration by encouraging dialog amongst team members to address issues, seek change and solutions that improve the organization.
- Manages many complex projects in parallel and projects of significance beyond MSL function, structuring the actions of many people toward shared outcomes.
- Highly perceptive and demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills.
- This role is a field based position and the ideal candidate must be able to travel at least 60% of the time, including ability to travel overnight and occasionally on weekends for congresses/meetings.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage.