General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a strategic, collaborative, and entrepreneurial leader for a highly-visible role that is responsible for establishing our Global Commercial Strategy function including global marketing, new product planning, competitive intelligence, market research and forecasting. This role will drive global positioning and messaging strategies for our brands, ensure that we establish strong centralized centers of excellence to support affiliates, deliver early commercial input and leadership to our pipeline programs, drive commercial input to business development opportunities and ensure launch excellence by sharing commercial best practices around the world. This leader will help to design and implement business strategies, create the organization structure and be a member of the commercial leadership team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Build and lead the Global Commercial Strategy organization in support of the launch and commercialization of the company’s Ph 3 assets, while also providing strong commercial support to the early stage pipeline.
- Provide collaborative support and strategic leadership to all geographies and functions, including but not limited to US, Europe and ROW, R&D, medical affairs, program management and finance.
- Create a global marketing function responsible for developing and driving global positioning and messaging strategies to support the launch and ongoing execution in the affiliates and regions. Create and lead brand planning process that integrates marketing, market access and medical.
- Establish a new product planning organization to drive commercial input to the early stage pipeline while performing commercial assessments, disease area assessments and business development support.
- Build a global analytics center of excellence (COE) including competitive intelligence, market research and forecasting. Ensure that the COE supports the regions and the affiliates, is forward looking and proactive, and is not in competition or redundant with the regions/affiliates.
- Deliver best practices across the regions to ensure we leverage launch and execution learnings around the world.
- Assess other global capabilities required as the organization grows (e.g. digital, marketing excellence, salesforce excellence).
- Ensure multi-year focus for each brand and be the strategic roadmap for the commercial organization including geographic expansion, life-cycle management, IP, and portfolio/franchise strategy (in collaboration with the program management team).
- Provide commercial expertise, leadership and input with membership on each program team.
- Represents Sage in developing and maintaining strong relationships with key opinion leaders, customers including providers, patients, industry associations, and other constituencies.
- Understand and anticipate trends (macro, economic, political) impacting industry and company strategy. Actively identifies risks and opportunities, develops appropriate action plans and communicates effectively across the organization.
- Engage as key member of the commercial leadership team driving and shaping global strategies, P&L management, company culture, people development and global execution.
- Acts with a high level of professionalism and discretion.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent strategic thinking and interpersonal skills, strong collaboration skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to develop strategy while also understanding how to translate strategy into action through a strong background in operational excellence; outstanding analytical skills and an ability to simplify complex issues and generate insights that can be utilized by the business to drive growth, resolve issues and/or mitigate risks.
- Experience building, leading, and developing high performance global teams that have supported the US, Europe and the ROW; a minimum of 10-15 years in executive leadership roles with a preference for a candidate who has a combination of local, regional and global experiences.
- Experience working collaboratively across functions and geographies to formulate strategy and to support regional and local execution.
- Commercial launch experience preferably in multiple geographies.
- Prior experience leading multiple global functions and a keen understanding of the challenges and complexity of the local, regional and global commercial dynamics and working relationships.
- Neurology and/or psychiatry market experience a plus.
- Graduate degree (MBA) preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in the conception, development and execution of commercialization strategies and best practice sharing across the US, Europe and ROW.
- Proven track record of performance via consistently meeting or exceeding financial and/or other quantitative targets and qualitative goals through direct affiliate roles and/or global roles.
- Capability to envision and articulate the process towards commercialization, milestones and progress and appropriately align expectations. Ability to proactively anticipate the needs of internal customers and to create alignment through launch tracking and operational dashboards.
- Excellent track record leading and hiring high-performing commercial teams. Demonstrated open, transparent and fair leadership, teamwork and collaboration, balancing empowerment and accountability and driving results.
- Must have a strong executive presence and be able to effectively represent the company, both internally and externally.
- Must have strong collaborative skills, ability to work across the matrix and the ability to thrive in a science-driven organization. Ability to convey complex concepts and strategies, orally and in writing. The successful candidate will have excellent listening skills; seeks broad input and feedback.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage.