General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for a highly visible role on the US Commercial Leadership Team that is responsible for building and leading the company’s Patient and Provider Services capability and Hub program. This position is accountable for the design, launch, and leadership of all patient support and reimbursement services including: Hub operations and personnel, patient assistance programs, case managers and/or nurse educators, and for day-to-day interactions with Home Infusion Providers, Specialty Pharmacies, and Hospitals.
He/she will work closely with a cross-functional team in the design and implementation of the patient and provider support model including Commercial Operations, Sales/Account Management, Marketing, Supply Chain, Market Access, IT, Legal, Medical Affairs, and external agencies and vendor-partners. The position requires expertise in the design and build of complex, high-touch patient and provider support systems, where coordination with multiple internal and external stakeholders and customers is essential for logistics and systems integration, and operational execution.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of a highly talented and motivated cross functional leadership team that is designing the commercial business model and leading the functional build of a first in kind organization in support of the launch of SAGE-547 and other products in the company’s portfolio.
Roles and Responsibilities
Lead the development, implementation, and management of a fully operational Patients Services Hub and case management / nurse educator team to support the launch of SAGE-547 and future products to include:
- Creation and delivery on a vision for Patient Services that aligns to Sage’s corporate mission and philosophy
- Development and communication of the patient experience strategy, including critical success factors, key performance indicators and the services to be provided
- Design of operating model including location of the HUB and an evaluation of in-source vs. outsource strategy for specific services offered
- Delivery of case management strategy, model, and infrastructure
- Participation in Home Infusion / Specialty Pharmacy network design strategy and ensure strong execution against that strategy
- Participation in the development and implementation of distribution contract strategies with Home Infusion Providers, Specialty Pharmacy, Specialty Distributors, and others
- Design of financial assistance strategy including Co-pay and Patient Assistance Program (PAP) that is aligned to Sage core values
- Delivery of provider billing and coding support as needed
- Implementation of Customer support operations to include phone tree, triage, etc.
- Collaboration with marketing on the development of patient and HCP communication, education, and marketing materials to including digital / web-based media
- Implementation of CRM system design for patient services, data collection and reporting
- Design of SOP’s, policies and procedures, and job descriptions
- Hiring and staffing of key talent
- Delivering training of call center and case management staff and Sage sales and account management personnel
- Delivering high quality data tracking for patient services to integrate with SAGE data systems and allow for continual evaluation and improvement
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders (internal and external), good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action with demonstrated strength in operational excellence and execution; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- BA/BS degree required. Advanced Degree in Business, Marketing or Life Sciences preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of pharmaceutical/biotech experience required
- Extensive experience (5+ years) in all major aspects of Patient and Provider Support Services with progression to Sr. level leadership roles a must
- Demonstrated success in building and optimizing fully operating Hub services is essential including strong vendor management experience
- Strong leadership and management skills required, including with remote workforces.
- Excellent analytical skills, well organized, and detail oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, negotiation, and leadership skills.
- Experience and comfort in working towards fixed deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven capability to simultaneously manage multiple projects, involving multiple stakeholders across functional areas.
- Proven effectiveness in maintaining effective communication to all stakeholders.
- Ability to travel approximately 20% of the time.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage