General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role that is responsible for managing and ensuring seamless delivery of product to patients. This person will implement and oversee the distribution strategy for Sage across all US channels. A primary objective will be to implement the distribution channel, ensuring launch readiness to deliver product for patients. Also to establish and maintain strong relationships with distribution partners and to oversee distribution operations, ensuring that product, reaches patients and providers efficiently, accurately and cost effectively. They will need to scale and refine the distribution, pricing and contracting strategies as appropriate with any future approved indication(s). This individual will work closely with reimbursement and patient services, marketing, finance, manufacturing and supply chain, field sales and managed markets, and be a key member of the Commercial Development team. He/She will manage the design and implementation of various contracts with distributors and specialty pharmacies, as necessary and required to ensure clear, stable, and profitable relationships with the trade partners.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for setting strategic direction for the distribution channel strategy and coordinating with the team to foster and maintain relationships with our selected 3PL, Specialty Pharmacy partners, Home Infusion pharmacies and Specialty Distribution partners.
- Work closely with the Operations, Finance, and Product Strategy & Sales to provide distribution channel strategy insight as it relates to product flows and future product access.
- Identify opportunities to enhance sales of products, support Product Strategy initiatives, and generally support our product in the trade and specialty channels.
- Collaborate with US Market Research on new initiatives to support access of our products in the US.
- Play a leading role in driving the successful commercialization of our lead product as the strategic and functional lead for US product distribution, partnering closely with reimbursement and patient services to enable high quality product access to patients and providers
- Implement the US Trade and Distribution business plan, ensuring execution of effective trade strategies and programs across multiple customer segments
- Develop the Home Infusion and Specialty Pharmacy strategy (evaluate and select partners, services, performance metrics and relevant data to track) in collaboration with cross-functional launch teams, negotiate contractual agreements and manage partners to successfully achieve distribution goals
- Work closely with head of reimbursement and patient services to ensure smooth integration of Specialty Pharmacy partners into HUB services
- Select and manage 3PL and specialty distributor(s) as appropriate to distribute product to relevant customer segments. Partner with finance, manufacturing and supply chain to oversee 3PL ordering process, manage distribution inventory and lead overall distribution implementation and operations
- Develop distribution policies and procedures including but not limited to orders, returns and inventory management
- Build relationships with key stakeholders on behalf of Sage, such as purchasing organizations and pricing compendia, and state and national bodies that influence policy and access
- Monitor changes that will affect price reporting and ensure compliance with those changes
- Develop strategy for and oversee product serialization in compliance with the Drug Quality and Security Act, including implementation of an electronic, interoperable system to identify and trace product through the supply chain
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry
- Infusion therapy experience required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in any of the market access segments of the business: reimbursement, health plans, distribution, physician networks, federal marketplace and others
- Advanced degree (e.g. MBA, PharmD, MPH) preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of managed care and state and federal reimbursement sectors.
- Experience building and managing distribution network including specialty pharmacies.
- Experience negotiating and managing complex contracts, building infrastructure to capture and report actionable performance metrics, and managing multiple partners to successfully achieve business goals
- Demonstrated track record showing high business impact via strategic planning and operational excellence
- Deep knowledge of US pharmaceutical channel dynamics, payer coverage and reimbursement environment, government policies pertaining to price reporting obligations, and contracting strategies
- Excellent leadership and managerial skills, dedication to mentoring and ability to attract, select, motivate and retain talent
- Motivated by patient focus, urgency and personal commitment to high performance, results and compliance. Possesses high integrity and exceptional work ethic
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage