Title: Manager, Nonclinical Operations
Reports to: Vice President, Nonclinical Development Department
General Scope and Summary
Sage Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated, innovative, collaborative, resourceful, and results oriented Operations Manager to support nonclinical operations activities. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting operational aspects of outsourced activities in support of Sage drug development efforts encompassing safety pharmacology, DMPK, bioanalytical, and toxicology.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Facilitate study quotes and contracting activities including price and contract negotiations, purchase requisitions, as well as processing of invoices and scheduling
- Initiate, manage, and maintain contracts (Master Services Agreements [MSA], Statements of Work [SOW], Confidentiality Agreements [CDA]) with CROs
- Track and monitor the financial status of ongoing studies and work closely with Finance, Accounting, Procurement, Legal, and functional leaders to support development of project plans, budgets, and forecasts
- Manage test article projections, orders, inventory, and characterization
- Assist in maintaining business relationships with the current portfolio of external service providers by working with personnel and outside contacts
- Develop, maintain, and deploy key project management tools and metrics with consistent application across nonclinical activities and timelines
- Actively participate in the development and optimization of SAGE business processes and work flows
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient. Requisites include excellent interpersonal and analytical skills, an ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, as well as an ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs, and recommendations. A demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action, an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way, and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks is also required.
- A BS/BA in a scientific discipline is required; an MS in a life science discipline is preferred.
- 5 plus years of experience in a drug discovery organization
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical drug development process
- The ability to apply project management principles and practices to prioritize and integrate cross-functional strategies and communication
- Experience in contracts management and business relationship management with internal and external partners
- Experience in preclinical development and operations management required to manage and execute the needs of our scientific teams as they endeavor to identify life-changing therapies for patients in need of new CNS medicines
- Basic understanding of financial aspects of outsourced operations, including budgeting, forecasting, and invoicing
- Basic understanding of contract documents including CDAs, MSAs, SOWs, and POs, and key legal concepts
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced innovative environment with competing tasks
- Must have a high degree of energy, motivation, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and successfully in a cross functional matrix environment amongst a diverse group of stakeholders
- Strong communication skills and problem solving talents
- Ability to influence to align relevant stakeholders and execute in a timely manner
- Expert knowledge of MS Project and MS Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills and desire to work with the team and identify issues in operational workflow
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage