Title: Director, Medical Education and Training
Reports to: Senior Director, Medical Education and Information
General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role that is responsible for the design and execution of strategic and practical medical education initiatives for pipeline products and relevant disease states for both internal and external stakeholders. This role will identify and develop internal and external communication tools, digital resources/ and experiences which will drive the strategic objectives established by Medical Affairs leadership including, but not limited to, new hire onboarding curricula, new product launch planning/training, and execution of peer-to-peer congress satellite symposia. The role requires a high level of collaboration with Brand, Legal and Compliance teams as well as the hands-on attitude necessary to refine and build learning resources.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Functional lead for internal medical training for Sage employees and external medical education activities for Health Care Professionals (HCPs)
- Develop medical education strategy that is aligned with corporate and medical communication objectives and tailored to key internal employees and external HCP audiences across time
- Manage team workload and external demands on team to achieve unit goals and objectives while maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Responsible for ensuring all medical education materials conform to appropriate regulatory, medical, and legal compliance guidance.
- Responsible for the identification and management of multiple Agency Partners, including the management and approval of contracts, processing (purchasing requisitions, invoices, and approvals), associated budgets, forecast and accruals
- Demonstrate consistent ethical and professional behavior and ensure compliance with all relevant internal policies, as well as with Sage’s legal and ethical standards
- Oversee the creation and management of materials, projects and resources through the internal review and approval process; work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders and vendor partners to ensure successful navigation through internal approval processes
- Collaborate with multiple functional groups across the organization, including but not limited to Sales, Regulatory, Market Access, Market Research, Commercial Operations, Legal, Patient Advocacy, and Medical Affairs
Internal Medical Training:
- Collaborate with medical affairs leadership to establish training objectives and initiatives that translate strategy into actionable, goal-oriented behavior by Field Medical Affairs.
- Design new hire and advanced training learning programs for onboarding, home study curriculums, preceptorships, and POA Meetings.
- Proactively assess knowledge gaps within field medical affairs teams, and in collaboration with appropriate colleagues, work to address gaps through training initiatives and programs.
- Continuously evaluate and measure the effectiveness of internal training programs and identify, as necessary, improvements that serve to sustain and improve comprehension, application and competence.
HCP Medical Education:
- Lead the development, execution and implementation of core educational initiatives, professional symposia and digital educational materials for healthcare professionals, consumers/caregivers and advocacy groups through various modes of delivery including live and virtual programs.
- Monitor the execution of educational programs to ensure strategic therapeutic alignment, adherence to adult learning principles, cost efficiencies, innovation, compliance, and educational effectiveness measures. They will also be responsible for gathering outcomes from supported programs and analyzing and presenting these data to key internal stakeholders
- Stay informed of applicable governmental compliance laws and industry standards for Medical Education programming
- Develop innovative approaches for demonstrating the value of peer-to-peer educational activities for improving patient outcomes by establishing and implementing key metrics to track and articulate the impact of medical education programs and initiatives.
- Contribute to the maintenance of Sage’s strategic scientific platforms for multiple therapeutic areas to be used by cross-functional teams.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Demonstrated ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual contributor.
- Must be able to take an undefined objective and lead the process through to operational excellence.
- Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders of various backgrounds and expertise.
- PharmD/PhD degree required
- Minimum of 8 years in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry, field experience preferred
- U.S. Launch experience required
- Orphan, CNS, and / or acute care preferred
- Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Ability to quickly understand and communicate all clinical data / publications to support business objectives.
- Experience working with external vendors on a day-to-day basis.
- Experience with thought leader relationship management.
- Demonstrated abilities to prioritize and manage multiple projects, and effectively influence, collaborate, and communicate with internal and external partners.
- An outstanding track record of strong communication, presentation, analytic and strategic capabilities.
- The ability to travel (30 – 40%).
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage.