Title: Manager, Commercial Events
Reports to: Associate Director, Commercial Operations
General Scope and Summary
Sage Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for a key role that is responsible for leading the planning and execution of Commercial Events and Meetings. The successful candidate will have experience providing strategic, technical and logistical support for a wide range of commercial events and meetings, including: Commercial congresses with greater presence, national and semi national meetings and POA’s meetings and events. The Manager, Commercial Events, is responsible for developing and cultivating a wide range of relationships, including with congress organizers, external vendors, and internal stakeholders within and outside of the Commercial organization. The manager is responsible for overall strategic planning, timelines and tactical plans, vendor management, strategic partnerships, onsite meeting management, budget management and ensuring continued compliance with all Sage guidelines, federal and state laws, regulations and policies.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide end-to-end support for Commercial Meeting logistics, including:
- Partner with Marketing Ops lead on strategic planning for all conventions and events
- Serve as primary point of contact for Congress Organizers
- Manage all operational plans, timelines, budgets and contracts
- Manage exhibit space and location, meeting rooms, hotels, commercial attendance, group registrations etc.
- Support exhibit design and oversee exhibit execution onsite
- Support execution of professional memberships and incorporate membership advantages in planning e.g. point system, discounts, comp registrations, priority placement etc.
- Establish and manage Commercial sponsorship commitments (e.g., proactively securing prospectus, tracking deadlines, liaising between organizers and internal material owners, payment)
- Provide onsite support to events as needed
- Research and direct execution of best practices to improve meeting services for mid-size and large conferences to position SAGE for long-term viability and improve operational efficiency
- Develop, maintain and distribute congress dashboard/communications (which summarizes cross-functional and logistical components of each congress/meeting)
- Oversee relevant vendor selection, management and ongoing analysis of performance
- Plan and run Congress Planning Meetings
- Ensure communication to/from team
- Ensure appropriate cross functional participation and alignment
- Develop and track against budget
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned that contribute to the effectiveness of the department (which may include logistical support for advisory boards, trainings etc.)
- Partner with Medical Conference Strategy Leads to execute conferences with a holistic view and within the established budget.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a straightforward way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- BA/BS required
- 5+ years’ experience coordinating events
- Prior experience in pharmaceutical/biotech industry required
- Prior experience managing trade show exhibit booth from concept to creation, roll out
- Prior experience in Commercial events, congresses and meeting planning required
- Excellent writing, presentation and project management skills
- Experience with CVent or other event management and planning platforms
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced innovative environment with competing tasks
- Must have a high degree of energy, motivation, with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and successfully in a matrix environment
- Effective communication skills and problem-solving talents
- Ability to influence to align relevant stakeholders and execute in a timely manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills and desire to work with the team and identify issues in operational workflow
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun