Title: Head of EU Market Access
Reports to: Senior Vice President/General Manager, Europe
General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role that is responsible for the development and execution of EU market access strategies, pricing strategies and the leadership of the different functions within market access, which includes the patient therapy access, market access strategic operations, and managed markets and reimbursements. These key strategies are developed in alignment with global business objectives during development, launch and life cycle management of the portfolio. The role will report to both the Senior Vice President/General Manager, Europe and dotted line to the Vice President, Market Access.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and build on the existing global market access/pricing and reimbursement structure and capability, considering functions beyond traditional market access, HEOR and pricing, such as public / government affairs and policy.
- Develop the optimal EU market access/pricing and reimbursement strategy for Sage
- Collaborate with the VP, HEOR to ensure Phase 2 & 3 trials design meets stakeholder requirements.
- Collaborate with the VP, HEOR to ensure generation of additional data required to support plans through clinical development and medical affairs.
- Provide input to and support adaptation of the core value dossier and EU economic models (including but not limited to cost effectiveness and budget impact) working closely with HEOR, clinical development, commercial and regional commercial teams to ensure these meet local country requirements and present a consistent message.
- Develop communication and publication plan for EU payers aligned to commercial strategy and ensure consistency of implementation pre and post marketing authorization.
- Work with global and relevant regional consultants to ensure EU payer research is appropriate and generates insights required.
- Collaborate with the VP, HEOR to evaluate payer perspectives on early stage development and business development and make appropriate recommendations.
- Analyze market intelligence, monitor health technology assessment evolution and requirements to develop models and planning assumptions to inform market access strategy, product development, health economics models, and economic burden evidence needs.
- Recommend EU pricing strategy, based on commercial objectives and ensure consistency of implementation. Develop EU pricing governance to ensure consistency and alignment of pricing strategy.
- Oversee the development of patient access programs pre and post marketing authorization to ensure consistency of approach.
- Advise Executive Management on key access policies and reimbursement practices affecting corporate objectives, quantify risks and opportunities and make recommendations for action.
- Ensure that all Market Access activities comply with regulatory agencies, public policies/guidelines, and with corporate policies and procedures.
- Develop and track Market Access budgets with regional leadership. Participates in the planning, hiring and performance management of local market access capabilities.
- Identify and develop talent through the business for market access activities.
- Identification of EU payer needs (unmet medical need, local dynamics, gaps, etc.). Collaborate and design payer research to understand primary value drivers and requirements for early access and, post-approval, reimbursement across all products. Thoroughly monitor / identify Health Technology Assessment (HTA) requirements, trends and reimbursement pathways for key markets.
- Execution of a plan to address identified gaps through HEOR studies, publications, messaging and influencing.
- Development of the product’s value proposition and steering the development/updating of the product value repositories (Health Economic models, value dossiers, commercial toolkits, etc.). Thoroughly evaluate the anticipated outcomes of key Health Technology Assessment (HTA) body assessments and the implications for value positioning, evidence requirements and help shape ongoing evidence generation plans.
- Collaborates with HEOR to ensure that payer relevant endpoints are included in the clinical development program.
- Monitors trends and developments in order to proactively identify needs and actions to support the value proposition of our portfolio across a multitude of payer environments.
- Accountable and guides the EU commercial head on all market access issues relevant to the region
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Graduate degree or equivalent; MBA preferred
- 15+ years of relevant pharmaceutical industry experience, including leadership roles in areas such as market access, pricing, health economics and outcomes research preferably in a global context
- Good understanding of all associated relevant legal, compliance and regulatory requirements
- Prior experience and success in strategy roles (including complex, multi-year initiatives), operations roles and customer-facing roles preferred
- Good understanding of US and EU market access environment and decision makers; product launch experience in market access preferred
- Experienced and adept at navigating international, multi-lingual, and cross-functional organizational matrices within a diverse and cross-cultural work environment
- Understanding of innovative approaches (e.g. pricing, managed entry,) that creates sustainable and tailored access solutions.
- Able to understand the global picture internally (e.g. marketing & sales-medical-research-health economy) and externally (solid understanding of the healthcare policy trends, P&R models, different payers/stakeholders, contracting, pricing, Health Technology Assessment dynamics in Europe).
- Has competitive intelligence, identifies early opportunities and threats in the market and creates solutions to benefit from opportunities and to disarm threats.
- Can develop a clear understanding of the company’s financial goals, with a clear ability to prioritize, setting up timelines on an international level.
- Can effectively liaise with Medical Affairs and brand team as well as global teams, creating an efficient working style within a diverse organizational matrix.
- Possesses a strategic commercial drive, while at the same time is comfortable with technical or academic topics.
- Preferably has multi-year experience with national payers, health authorities, governmental economists and reimbursement agencies, hospital administrators, influential academics and health care insurance companies’ general management, acquired at pharmaceutical companies, sickness funds, physician associations or health care consultancy companies.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage