Manager, Business Applications (Informatics)
General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role that is responsible for the data and systems used by our R&D organization.
Under minimal direction, this individual will plan, implement and maintain corporate application software, systems, and data in support of Research and Development operations. This includes the performance of all administrative and management tasks necessary to maintain application operation, install new systems, develop reports and ancillary software, and maintain system security and performance.
The individual will use their knowledge of the sciences to interface with system users, and vendor contacts, and will assist in informatics data design and reporting. The manager will participate in data analysis and use their scientific knowledge to help deliver results in product development.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Monitors and controls the performance and status of informatics systems used in pharmaceutical research, including electronic lab notebook, compound registration, and material inventory systems.
- Utilizes software development, extraction, and analysis tools to aid users in data capture, data management, data reporting and data analysis.
- Manages operation and use of off-the-shelf research applications, and basic server database engines to maintain maximum application performance.
- Act as liaison to scientific community for system operation, and to outside vendors during installation, modification, training, and support of application software.
- Monitors software requirements, determines application utilization, and recommends upgrades/enhancements as needed. Monitors application security and collaboration access.
- Monitors and responds to application problems using appropriate problem determination tools; tracks problem occurrence and resolution; identifies, diagnoses and repairs complex problems.
- Provides project leadership in planning, design, implementation and support of research applications; insures interface with existing application, network and operational server environments.
- Develops and implements operational standards and procedures for research applications, including those for performance, backup, and security. Interfaces with operations staff for development and monitoring of off-hours and special procedures.
- Assists Users with scientific study design, and information analysis; uses their scientific knowledge to drive to solutions for chemical and biological analyses, and to produce results.
- Coordinates the storage and management of, and participates in the analysis and reporting of data generated by CRO’s and other partners as part of a virtual development model.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- B.S. in chemistry, biology, bioinformatics, or similar business area required. Advanced degree preferred.
- 5 + years’ experience in a commercial drug development science applications support environment.
- Specific Experience with science research data applications and database tools, such as PL/SQL, Spotfire, Pipeline Pilot, IDBS E-Workbook, WinNonLin, Dotmatics, Graphpad, electronic lab notebooks, etc.
- High degree of scientific expertise and extensive knowledge of life sciences research and development processes, and information models.
- High degree of technical expertise and extensive knowledge of life science analytical applications and support techniques.
- High degree of technical expertise and extensive knowledge of science data reporting and formatting tools.
- High degree of expertise in project management related to the selection, installation, and management of application software systems used in the development process.
- Competent in operation of Windows-based PC’s, and basic familiarity with networked and cloud-based application environments, including web platforms.
- Provides application implementation guidance to desktop support specialists, network engineers, and server administrators.
- Provides training, troubleshooting and software development assistance to users.
- Provides direction and assistance to science users in extracting and analyzing data.
- Person must be able to work well with staff members, and user community, especially with senior business management staff. Person must be able to interact with employees at all levels of the company, in all business areas.
- All information (written, verbal, electronic, etc.) that an employee encounters while working at SAGE is considered confidential.
- Fast paced office environment handling multiple demands. Must be able to exercise appropriate judgment as necessary. Requires a high level of initiative and independence. Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Requires ability to use a personal computer for extended periods of time.
- Work hours may include meetings schedule outside of normal working hours. Demands during peak times may require work hours outside of normal working hours. Occasional travel may be required.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage