General Scope and Summary
Sage Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated, innovative, collaborative, resourceful and results oriented Operations Manager to support research operations activities within the Sage Discovery Organization. The successful candidate will be responsible for operational aspects of outsourced activities in support of Sage early nonclinical drug discovery activities including Chemistry, Pharmacology, DMPK/Tox and other information-gathering activities. This includes contracts management, purchase requisition, logistics as well as budgeting and forecasting support. Experience in discovery research, preclinical development and operations management will be required to manage and execute the needs of our scientific teams as they endeavor to identify life-changing therapies for patients in need of new CNS medicines. This position will report to the Senior Director, Exploratory Research.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide operational support to the including sourcing of reagents, vendor selection and management, protocol generation, and archiving
- Develop, maintain, and deploy key project management tools and metrics with consistent application across discovery functions
- Aid in the preparation of presentations for project team leaders, the senior management team, and the Scientific Advisory Board
- Work closely with Finance, Accounting, Procurement, Legal, and functional leaders to support development of project plans, budgets, and forecasts
- Initiate, manage, and maintain contracts including Master Services Agreements (MSA), Statements of Work (SOW), Confidentiality Agreements (CDA) with external partners such as CROs, CMOs, excipient/accessory suppliers, and clinical and commercial distribution organizations
- Assist in maintaining business relationships with the current portfolio of external service providers by working with personnel and outside contacts
- Actively participate in the development and optimization of SAGE business processes and work flows
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient. Requisites include excellent interpersonal and analytical skills, an ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, as well as an ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs, and recommendations. A demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action, an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way, and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks is also required.
- A BS/BA in a scientific discipline is required; an MS or a PhD in a life science discipline is preferred.
- 3 plus years of experience in a drug discovery organization
- Knowledge of the drug discovery process from target identification through lead optimization
- The ability to apply project management principles and practices to prioritize and integrate cross-functional strategies and communication
- Experience in contracts management, project management, business relationship management with internal and external partners
- Basic understanding of financial aspects of outsourced operations, including budgeting, forecasting, and invoicing
- Basic understanding of contract documents including CDAs, MSAs, SOWs, and POs, and key legal concepts
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced innovative environment with competing tasks
- Must have a high degree of energy, motivation, with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and successfully in a matrix environment
- Ability to function in ambiguity and propose viable solutions
- Strong communication skills and problem-solving talents
- Ability to influence in order to align relevant stakeholders and execute in a timely manner
- Expert knowledge of MS Project and MS Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills and desire to work with the team and identify issues in operational workflow
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage