Title: Director, Operations – Patient Support Services Location: Raleigh-Durham, NC
General Scope and Summary
Sage is currently building a world-class Patient Support organization as it prepares to launch its first product into the Post-Partum Depression market. The Director of Operations will lead the day to day oversight & execution of Sage’s Patient Support Operational Call Center.
Reporting to the Head of Patient Support, the Director of Operations will lead call center operations of Sage’s customer service offering, which includes customer interactions with both patients and physician offices as well as coordination with various internal Sage field teams and external service delivery business partners. The Director of Operations will have a unique opportunity to hire / build the operational leadership team and the customer support staff as well as establish foundational infrastructure and cultural norms to nurture a patient-centric, team-based work environment that exemplifies Sage values.
The successful candidate will have an ability to hire top talent, create a customer-centric team-based organization, develop and motivate individual team members, participate in the design / development of Sage’s service delivery model, and establish the operational infrastructure and performance metrics that actionably delivers on Sages’ vision, values and business goals. Critical to the success of Sage’s Patient Support department is the Director of Operations’ ability to encourage partnership with internal teams and external vendor partnerships to ensure a single and consistent Sage voice to customers. The successful candidate will be responsible for establishing operational strategies to most effectively use technologies and resources within the Sage Patient Support organization. This position requires building strong relationships with internal business leaders and collaborating to improve efficiencies, effectiveness, and the customer experience.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Hiring and ongoing managing of Patient Services operational leadership and customer-facing / support teams.
- Oversee day-to-day and intra-day business dynamics and manage operational adjustments to ensure world class service delivery.
- Cultivate an operational culture that places customers first and ensures operational excellence through effective internal and external partnerships and efficient use of technology platforms.
- Partner with Sage’s Sales Leadership / Commercial Field Teams, Field Training, and Channel Distribution leadership to ensure best in class service delivery.
- Partner with Sage IT leadership and support teams to ensure the effective build and ongoing operational effectiveness of technology platforms
- Communicate to Patient Services and Commercial Leadership key operational events as they arise to ensure effective business understanding and/or necessary coordination and adjustments.
- Manage proper sizing, alignment and intra-day staffing of PS operational teams to ensure customer success.
- Partner with Business Analytics, Reporting and Forecasting teams to improve all areas of operational reporting, data measurement, analysis and data quality and to identify potential operating efficiencies to the business.
- Support in educating Sage Commercial leadership and Field Teams in Patient Services delivery models, goals, KPIs, organizational and technological platforms and practices.
- Comply with all Sage corporate policies, internal procedures and training and applicable laws and industry codes in collaboration with Sage’s Legal, Regulatory and Compliance.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA degree preferred.
- 7-10 years’ experience leading patient services operational teams in the healthcare or pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
- Solid understanding of the healthcare environment specifically in the area delivering services to Health Care Professional and Patient customers.
- Solid understanding of health insurance and benefits, Medicaid, co-pay and PAP programs, home-health / nursing services.
- Demonstrated ability to build an organization, hire, motivate, and develop staff.
- Experience in new product launches preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage both upwardly to communicate organization achievements and challenges as well as manage downwardly to effectively communication operational goals and inspire / motivate / organize teams.
- Excellent operations management skills with demonstrated ability to lead large teams.
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems (Salesforce, Veeva, etc.) and Computerized Telephony Integration (CTI) platforms.
- Knowledge and application of Excel, Tableau, PowerPoint, etc.
- Results oriented, self-organized and self-starter with a proven track record of results.
- Possess strong critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Desire to innovate and work in a fast-paced, energetic environment with competing priorities.
- Ability to Travel up to 10% for key meetings and customer / partner relationships.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage.