General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role that is responsible for all federal legislative and policy strategy and execution to support all facets of Sage’s business. Be a recognized and active leader in the biopharmaceutical industry and Serve as the Sage representative with federal government officials, industry trade associations, think tanks and influential policy organizations. Responsible for representing Sage in legislative and policy matters with national governments as well as with quasi-governmental agencies by providing policy direction, coordinating operating unit government affairs initiatives, and lobbying for the company’s interests.
Establish and manage Sage’s government affairs consultancy relationships, work closely with business leaders on relevant issues, consistently partner with Sage’s leadership, public affairs, medical affairs, including advocacy, regulatory, legal and commercial strategy teams, and leverage Sage’s relationships within the medical and patient communities in line with Sage’s approved and agreed business strategy. These areas of responsibility impact top and bottom line financials, affect all aspects of the business in the short and long term, and include Sage’s external influence and reputation.
This position will be based in Washington, DC area.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Set up and establish a government affairs strategy and program that develops and executes legislative and regulatory strategies to protect or enhance Sage’s business interests.
- Represents Federal Government Affairs to the business, especially leadership teams, in an effort to continually develop business IQ to ensure that free market principles are preserved to protect the Sage products covered by government payers and influenced by government regulators.
- Develop strategies with government stakeholders to enhance awareness and treatment in Sage therapeutic areas.
- Develop and drive Sage’s policies and objectives involving federal government affairs and policy.
- Monitor and track proposed federal legislation lead analysis of proposed legislative/policy actions, determine the potential impact on the company and propose appropriate responses.
- Establish a positive, credible, and influential presence for Sage within relevant federal government entities.
- Foster a productive relationship between Sage senior leadership and elected officials and organize briefings, meetings and other interactions with government officials.
- Develop, maintain, and nurture relationships to represent and advance Sage’s government relations/public affairs agenda before elected officials and government decision makers.
- Establish a positive, credible and influential presence for Sage with key trade associations, as well as national public policy and legislative groups and other relevant stakeholder organizations.
- Coordinate with Market Access function to ensure aligned approach with state-based organizations including Medicaid while also engaging in pricing strategy and implications.
- Manage federal engagements with consultants and lobbyists to ensure implementation of legislative, regulatory and political priorities.
- Anticipate and predict changes in the external legislative, regulatory, policy, and political environments in the short, mid and long term.
- Identify and communicate on company opportunity and risk in the government legislative, regulatory, policy and political realms.
- Create specific opportunities for Sage’s business and operations in the legislative, policy, and political environments.
- Analyze and develop strategies for the potential impacts of government action, both offensively and defensively, to the business (operational and strategic).
- Ensure that the company is compliant with all federal and state registration and lobbying disclosure laws associated with interactions with US government officials.
- Develop US policy positions related to key policy issues and legislation impacting the biopharmaceutical industry and Sage’s business, products, policy, and practices, such as drug safety, comparative effectiveness, importation, and FDA/CMS collaboration and data sharing, in support of business objectives.
- Determine the operational and financial impact of legislative proposals and prepare and recommend appropriate responses, ranging from policy positioning to internal budgeting and structure, internally and externally.
- Oversee the preparation and submission of federal and campaign finance compliance disclosures and filings on behalf of Sage. This includes global coordination and responsibility for reporting interactions with U.S.
- Build solid relationships with federal, and key policymakers and enhance Sage’s reputation and image among authorities as a trusted partner of choice.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution required; graduate degree from an accredited institution in relevant area is a plus.
- 12-15 years of experience as a Government Affairs executive with a major company, a Congressional staffer, or as a senior public official in a relevant business or government department or agency.
- Must have a strong network in Washington, D.C. with access to Congressional members, not just staff, and should also have access to the directors or senior personnel of key government agencies such as HHS, FDA, CMS, and NIH.
- Knowledge of FDA and political landscape; understanding/knowledge of applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
- An ability to quickly grasp issues facing the healthcare and biosciences industries.
- A thorough understanding of United States Congressional and Cabinet policy-making processes, including an understanding of the roles and decision points in the Executive agencies, The White House, the Senate and the House, as well as the role of think tanks and associations.
- Experience in managing consultants and staff members effectively, as well as appropriately advising/influencing senior-level corporate executives.
- A successful track record in accomplishing major legislative, regulatory and policy agendas of similar size and complexity.
- Established coalition building skills.
- The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest level of government and business.
- A keen sense of political discernment, with the ability to identify and influence the critical legislators, mobilize allies and develop and maintain relationships with key people and organizations.
- Widespread understanding and working knowledge of the process, as well as substantive knowledge, of establishing health care policy, particularly related to the coverage and reimbursement decision-making of FDA-approved drugs and biologics.
- Keen business acumen; ability to manage multiple, complex issues; high-energy, self-motivated, positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts crisply and efficiently for global senior leadership. Needs to work effectively across Sage’s organization while being remotely located.
- Clear reputation for ethical conduct; exemplary performance record.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage