General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role in the Market Access Europe team. The main purpose of the position is to support SAGE to successful launch of SAGE-547 (Brexanolone) as well as future products in the pipeline, in Europe.
This will require providing support to the respective EU teams/countries to ensure optimal launch strategies, to deliver adequate representation of outcomes research parameters and to support the optimization of lifecycle plans. Therefore, this broad market access role will shape regional strategies and will involve ‘hands-on’ direct payer interactions in multiple countries.
Reporting to the Head of Market Access Europe, the Director Market Access will be a high-profile position with the opportunity to make a significant impact. It requires the ability to operate across functional boundaries at the most senior levels.
This is a role for an experienced Market Access professional working closely with the local teams to ensure quality of local market access execution. He /She will also work in an integrated manner with the Global team as plans are developed to provide insight, share best practice and ensure alignment in implementation.
Success will be defined by SAGE’s ability to achieve broad access to patients in Europe, at the optimal price level.
This role will demand an ability to work strategically and operationally in equal measures and the right person will thrive in ambiguity and possess an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. There’s a lot to do – so high energy levels, a hands-on approach and a sense of humour will be required.
Roles and responsibilities
- Contribute with Market Access insight to develop the cross functional plan for SAGE 547 and follow-on pipeline products.
- As a member of the Market Access Team for EU, contribute to establish the objectives, for the region.
- Drive a high-performance culture by fostering business conduct, innovation, customer focus, personal accountability and commitment for results.
Strategic and Operational
- Identify payer needs (unmet medical need, suitable comparators and competitive space) and anticipate payers’ reaction to SAGE products.
- Conduct a gap analysis between payer expectations and what the product can deliver.
- Develop a plan to address identified gaps through studies, publications, and communications.
- Work in close collaboration with the Head of Health Economics Europe on the strategy for health economic studies.
- Provide input to Global Market Access to develop a product’s value proposition that meets the European Region needs and steer the development/updating of the product value repositories (health economic model, value proposition, commercial toolkit).
- Develop and maintain pricing and reimbursement database for Brexanolone
- Support the commissioning and preparation of health economic & outcomes research analyses necessary for reimbursement submissions & competitive messaging.
- Partner with the country General Managers to define the negotiation strategy per country, directly engage payers and health authorities (e.g. NICE, SMC, AIFA, TLV, etc.) and attend negotiations as needed.
- Conduct market research and provide regular updates on the competitors’ landscape for SAGE’s core disease areas.
- Significant participation with advanced strategic contribution, in SAGE commercial leadership team.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Postgraduate level (master or higher) training in economics or an analytical commercial discipline.
- Significant experience in Europe at both country and regional levels in health economics and reimbursement is required, with a strong preference for experience in the areas of oncology, hematology or other complex treatments.
- Preferably, prior experience in achieving positive HTA outcomes and/or experience in direct negotiation with local health authorities, reimbursement agencies, hospital administrators and health care insurance companies.
- In-depth understanding of payers and their perspective in the key European markets, as well as trends in Pricing & Reimbursement.
- Solid scientific background enabling the assessment of trial design and clinical data impact on payer strategies and the ability to challenge clinical development or medical affairs departments.
- Solid commercial background gained through graduate training or prior experience.
- Able to identify key product advantages in the context of market requirements and provide key ideas for developing individual value propositions around SAGE’s products.
- Can develop a clear understanding of the company’s financial goals, with a clear ability to prioritize, setting up timelines on an international level.
- Can effectively liaise with SAGE Europen Health Economics, Medical Affairs, Marketing, and local teams and creating an efficient working style within the matrix and a cross-cultural work environment.
- As a functional representative, good social/economic skills and a representative appearance are absolutely essential.
- Have strong influencing/negotiation skills and able to work at peer-level with experienced technical and commercial experts in other departments.
- Display business confidence to constructively challenge colleagues in other functions.
- Have excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex or technical content in a convincing way to non-technical audiences.
- Display excellent business English skills, with first-rate communication abilities.
- Any other European language is a plus.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage