General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a results-oriented, driven, collaborative team member for a role that is responsible for the operational oversight of Medical Affairs Operations in the US. To deliver on this mandate, the successful candidate requires high level stakeholder engagement, change management experience and collaboration skills; it also requires pragmatic, tangible operational thinking and direct experience. This role will require cross-functional collaboration with functional leads (including all Medical Affairs functions, Compliance, IT, Finance and Legal) and the ability to work with and influence stakeholders across all levels. He/she will be responsible for overseeing and supporting the general Operational needs of the department.
This position will function under the guidance and direction of the Director, Global Medical Affairs Operations.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the smooth execution of all Medical Affairs US operational needs, including:
- PO and contract support for department
- Regional system establishment and maintenance (including Veeva CRM)
- Medical Legal Regulatory review processes (including system support, vendor management and best practices)
- Reporting and dashboard maintenance for US activities across department
- Aggregate spend workstreams (in close collaboration with Compliance and Finance)
- Conduct baseline assessment of US Medical Affairs capabilities, processes and systems to identify gaps and opportunities for improvement
- Provide direct management for Medical Affairs Operations team members. Support their development and growth within Operations and Sage
- Lead the development of best practices, and identifying roles & responsibilities across several workstreams within Medical Affairs
- Chair the Medical Review Committee to ensure efficiency and consistency within the team; support and evolve best practices, and identify opportunities for efficiencies
- Oversee the evolution and integration of US systems with other functions (e.g., Commercial), in close collaboration with MA IT Business Analyst
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree
- 5-7 years of Pharmaceutical/Medical Affairs Operations experience is highly preferred
- 3-5 years of direct management experience
- Expert knowledge of MS Project, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Must be able to actively manage and track many complex projects in parallel, managing the actions of many people toward shared outcomes.
- Must possess excellent communication and presentation skills, relationship building capabilities, and proven ability to influence decision-making without authority.
- Must be highly perceptive, socially intelligent and intuitive
- Demonstrated strategic agility and leadership skills, including a passion for working within multiple teams and proven ability to achieve results in a matrix organization
- Highly motivated, decisive, and results-oriented individual with the flexibility and creativity to excel in a rapidly growing and changing environment.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Highly motivated, decisive, and results-oriented individual with the flexibility and creativity to excel in a rapidly growing and changing environment
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage