Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop scientific collaboration and exchange with external physicians, nurses, scientific experts, hospital teams, educators and investigators within a defined geography.
- Serve as the primary SAGE external medical representative for all key stakeholders, providing deep and advanced disease state and product information as well as facilitating the collaboration aligning with SAGE's mission.
- Support ongoing clinical trial execution at study sites as directed by internal clinical development medical directors
- Consistently collect, report and represent clinical insights and unanswered questions received from external contacts to the appropriate channels internally.
- Understand and effectively communicate current scientific knowledge
- Build and maintain technical and clinical expertise within women’s health/psychiatry/neurology and related areas to engage in deep scientific discussions.
- Engage in continuous learning within the therapeutic area they represent.
- Attend appropriate scientific meetings, conduct routine literature searches, and will be expected to communicate regularly with each other to assure that the entire group benefits from individual learning whenever it is relevant.
- Establish oneself as a reliable, trusted, resource of accurate, up-to-date, medical and scientific knowledge requested and desired by healthcare providers.
- Promptly respond to personal or electronic inquiries with any available Information which may include reprints or posters, medical letters, literature citations, access to internal and external experts, slides and other related material.
- Assist in medical affairs projects with a local/regional scope by sharing responsibility including alignment on goals with internal colleagues, exhibiting a problem-solving approach, assessment and coordination of resources, management of timelines, budgets and vendors, conduct debriefing and recommend process improvements.
- Effectively manage administrative activities
- The ML job entails not only scientific and customer expertise, but also requires the ability to understand and effectively utilize approved resources to fulfill administrative, procedural, and legal requirements in order to address the customer needs. These activities may include proficiency in computer skills and database entry, continual compliance of all procedural requirements of the role (i.e. good documentation practices, standards and procedures,) and appropriate utilization and best practice sharing of available resources.
- Interact with hospital pharmacy director, Medical Directors and payer thought leaders to provide requested disease state, epidemiology, diagnosis and relevant RSE treatment education. Work in conjunction with members of the commercial team (i.e., Key Accts Mgrs, DM's and Reimbursement Managers) to objectively and accurately communicate the science and clinical trial results.
- Partner with internal advocacy function to determine engagement needs and educational opportunities for patient advocacy groups, which may help advance disease understanding.
- Provide ongoing disease and product training to internal and field personnel
- Facilitate access to educational grant request process and alignment of incoming ISS's (Investigator-sponsored studies) with internal areas of scientific interest
- Accountable to provision of prompt intake and responses for medical information and requests for medical affairs support
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Terminal or clinical degree along with 5+ years of relevant experience in women’s health/psychiatry/neurology with relevant clinical, scientific and/or industry medical affairs experience in women’s health/psychiatry/neurology.
- Intellectual curiosity and intelligence about the field of science/medicine for which they are responsible.
- Highly motivated and capable of comprehending large amounts of scientific content which is then communicated in a clear, concise fashion.
- Significant experience and demonstrated track record of success in working independently, self-managing priorities and multi-tasking projects.
- Strong teamwork/interpersonal skills.
- Advanced presentation and computer skills with expertise in literature identification and evaluation.
- Significant experience in professional networking with positive mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Familiarity with the academic community and the medical research and medical education process highly valued.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
This role is a field based position and the ideal candidate must be able to travel at least 60% of the time, including ability to travel overnight and occasionally on weekends for congresses/meetings.