General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, analytical, and customer focused team player to play an important role in ensuring that patients have access to the SAGE portfolio of products. This role will focus on the development and implementation of contracts that maximize revenue & profitability for SAGE. The Contracting Manager will be a key contributor to development of SAGE’s very first contracts with Commercial and Government customers, including PBM, Health Plan, GPO, FSS, PHS and Medicaid. To be successful in this role, the individual will be self-motivated, able to work well in cross-functional teams, and must have a strong work ethic and integrity. Additionally, the individual must possess outstanding communication skills (both verbal and written) and be able to build relationships and influence decision-making, while managing tight timelines.
The candidate will be expected to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic, and nimble environment of an emerging start-up company that depends on strong links and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders in the office, in the field, and globally.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Partner with internal key stakeholders to maximize revenue potential of the products at both Global and Regional level by supporting the overall pricing strategy by developing and implementing contracts that reflect the clinical value of SAGE assets
- Lead end to end contract creation and management, including contract language and redlines, defining operational requirements
- Provide direct customer-facing support for the Commercial and Government Account Teams in contract negotiations, including developing and presenting supporting information that enhances negotiation discussions
- Utilize knowledge of the channel and customer economics to negotiate contract language that delivers value for the customer and BMS
- Monitor the competition, as well as any changes in the marketplace and regulatory environment that could influence contract elements and terms
- Utilize sophisticated analytical techniques to analyze and monitor customer compliance and performance against contract terms and keeps the RAE/NAE informed on an ongoing and regular basis
- Work in partnership with the Finance and Pricing on customer- specific rebate projections
- Work with internal government and legal experts to monitor the latest government contracting and reporting requirements
- Collaborate with Finance to ensure accuracy in government pricing calculations
- Understand inter-customer dynamics and the commercial implications for structuring deal negotiations
- Provide proactive insights and recommendations to the Account Teams on ways to improve contracting with customers to deliver stronger value for the customer and BMS, including training to Account Team on best practices in contract management
- Develop ad hoc dashboards and trackers to monitor performance
- Ensure that a proper internal control environment over processes and data is maintained
- Secure Best in class contracting tools to optimize management for the company
- Assess contracting needs and business opportunities with regards to medicines under development
- Partner with Finance and Forecasting to leverage best practices during internal forecasting processes
Experience, Education, and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor's degree required; Advanced degree in Business or an analytical field is preferred
- 5-7 years of experience negotiating and managing contracts in the Pharmaceutical industry
- Possess a high level of knowledge of the Market Access & Contracting fields in the Pharmaceutical industry
- Must have a firm understanding of the healthcare marketplace and demonstrate strong business acumen including a solid understanding of the way various channels and customer types make money and create value
- Highly motivated, decisive and results-oriented individual with the flexibility and creativity to excel in and contribute to a rapidly growing company.
- Able to earn the respect from peers as required in a matrixed organization, capable of highly-independent work as well as being a team player and role model; a key ability for success is to interface with clinical operations.
- Be a diplomatic professional, ‘clicking’ easily with the company and leadership, with the foresight and savvy to contribute to the corporate goal of becoming a leader in CNS disorders and bringing medicines to patients.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, identify and resolve issues.
- Ability to influence without authority, lead change and manage resistance to change.
- Must be able to solicit information, persuade others and shape outcomes.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage.