General Scope and Summary
The System Administrator’s role is to build and manage on-premises and cloud computer systems and network infrastructure to ensure high levels of availability and security of the supported business applications. This individual also participates in the planning and implementation of procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance of computerized systems that is consistent with company goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements.
Roles & Responsibilities
Strategy & Planning
- Under direction of the Infrastructure Manager the Systems administrator participates in and supports capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for systems and software in conjunction with end-users and department managers.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Coordinates with managed service providers, service desk, and business application functions to implement desktop and server systems that utilize industry best practices to meet corporate objectives.
- Deploy servers, printers, scanners, network infrastructure, firewalls, and related computer infrastructure.
- Manage all server operating systems, cloud, and network infrastructure.
- Manage email, IM, online collaboration platforms and connection solutions, including workstation connectivity, and local and wide area networks.
- Ensure the integrity and security of enterprise data on host computers, and during data transfer in accordance to business needs and industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Manage end user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations in accordance with best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Perform network and security audits as required.
- Work with managed service providers to ensure systems are maintained properly.
- Anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and software problems on servers, printers, and workstations. Escalate incidents as necessary.
- Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Support business application teams throughout project lifecycles.
- Analyze system, server, application, network performance.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software and hardware improvements, upgrades, patches, reconfigurations, and/or purchases.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of systems software procurement and development efforts.
- Create required reports in response to business user needs.
- Develop, document, and maintain work instructions for system administration of IT infrastructure components and applications.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or 7 years equivalent work experience.
- Certifications in Microsoft and/or Cisco products.
- Working technical knowledge of network, PC, and platform operating systems, including Windows 10, Windows Server 2012 and 2016, Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, PowerShell.
- Application support experience with AirWatch or similar MDM, Cisco Umbrella, Centrify or similar IDaaS provider.
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards, including networking, firewalls, Active Directory, and Office 365.
- Strong knowledge of local area network administration based on Cisco and Meraki networking equipment.
- Hands-on software and hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Adept at reading, writing, and interpreting technical documentation and procedure manuals.
- Ability to conduct research into hardware and software issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas and solutions in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage
- 40-hour onsite work week with occasional off-hours work.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.