General Scope and Summary
SAGE Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role as the head of business development and alliance management at Sage as we work to develop and commercialize a broad pipeline of Central Nervous System (CNS) products. We expect to enter into additional collaboration and licensing agreements as a means of obtaining resources, capabilities and funding to advance our company and portfolio. This position will play a critical role in ensuring the pipeline and assets are capitalized to support the organization’s short and long-term goals.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the development of the business development strategy including efforts in the identification, evaluation and development of acquisition, in-licensing, out-licensing and partnership opportunities inclusive of assessing external opportunities relative to our internal pipeline choices and investments.
- Build and develop strong relationships with internal stakeholders to have a clear understanding of critical priorities and objectives and establish action plans that translate into business development opportunities.
- Build and develop strong relationships with external partners and thought leaders; establish action plans to incorporate ideas and trends to our corporate strategy, development and portfolio.
- Build an outstanding team that is fit for purpose for Sage’s current size, strategic direction and focus.
- Lead the newly created Alliance Management function and ensure strong capabilities are developed to enhance our relationships with partners including our collaboration with Shionogi for SAGE-217.
- Communicate a clear vision for the company to shareholders, customers, business partners and employees, enhancing the company’s credibility with shareholders, analysts, the press, and the financial community.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- An MBA with at least 15+ years of relevant industry experience in biotech/pharma preferably in a corporate strategy or business development role; a background in science is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of success; experience in managing end to end a variety of collaboration agreements including but not limited to licensing agreements, co-promotions, strategic alliances, M&A, etc.
- Must have an aptitude to quickly understand new science and technology.
- An outstanding strategist and thought partner to the leadership team.
- Leadership ability that inspires, galvanizes and drives internal teams.
- Strong collaboration and influence skills. An ability to work across all lines as a general advisor and across the leadership team as a trusted partner, yet capable and willing to challenge established thinking to realize a better outcome.
- Increase awareness of Sage’s strategy to the external environment.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage.