General Scope and Summary
Sage Therapeutics is searching for an Associate Director, Corporate Counsel with experience representing public biotechnology or pharmaceutical companies. Reporting directly to the Senior Corporate Counsel, this role will be responsible for providing legal support to key Global and U.S. functions involved in research and development, manufacturing and commercialization, including the Medical Affairs, Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) and Commercial organizations. This role will also participate as a member of the Medical Review Committee and work with the contracts management team to review and negotiate contracts.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Collaborating with other members of the Legal to prepare for potential commercial launches in the U.S. and ex-U.S. and supporting execution of ongoing post-launch commercial activities.
- Advising the Global Medical Affairs organization as it conducts activities supporting the development and advancement of the company’s pipeline.
- Supporting the Health Economics and Outcomes Research team as it conducts research and analyses used to inform decisions by payers and other stakeholders involved in reimbursement, coverage and patient access.
- Participating on the Medical Review Committee, including review of clinical trial materials, publications, congress materials, Medical Affairs training and field team materials, and HEOR training and field team materials.
- Working with a team of contract managers to review and negotiate a wide range of agreements related to the functions supported by the role.
- Working across all company departments to meet business objectives.
- Partnering with leadership to develop legal strategy and direction for the Company.
- Representing Legal on cross-functional teams, helping to identify legal issues and communicating legal analysis and possible solutions.
- Interacting with external counsel, advisors, external vendors, and business partners.
- Working collaboratively and creatively with internal clients by clearly and effectively communicating practical and timely legal advice.
- Advising on the interpretation of legal documents and applicable laws and regulations in a manner that provides practical legal advice while properly managing risk to the organization.
- Keeping informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends affecting the organization, and assisting with development of policies and training as needed.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive in a fast-paced and innovative environment, while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, and maintaining high quality and high standards. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Strong contract drafting and writing skills. Excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Law Degree from a nationally recognized law school and member of a state bar.
- 4-6 years’ experience in legal practice (with a combination of large law firm and in-house experience strongly valued).
- Experience working as in-house counsel in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry is preferred. External counsel in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry will also be considered.
- Responsible for providing legal advice on a broad set of healthcare matters.
- Strong base of knowledge and experience advising clients on laws and regulations governing the pharmaceutical industry, including FDA regulations, False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, OIG guidance, the PhRMA Code, HIPAA, and product liability laws, is highly valued.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills and the capacity to simultaneously handle a variety of complex matters.
- Demonstrated experience drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Well-organized and hardworking, with the ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Ability to form strong working relationships with other employees and partners while maintaining firm adherence to proper legal standards.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage Therapeutics.